Fondant Over Cream Cheese Icing???

Decorating By llbesq Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 5:00am by Brandy982006

llbesq Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 18

I have tried to find the answer to my question with the search function, but it won't seem to work (after many attempts). I am making a cake for someone who loves cream cheese icing. However, as we all know, it is most difficult to work with. Has anyone had any experience/success with using fondant over cream cheese icing? Thanks!

17 replies
Caths_Cakes Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 18

ive never used it but ive seen lots of posts recently about this, and aparantly the moisture content in the cream cheese will cause the fondant to sweat and go mushy, it may be worth trying it out very small scale, but after everything ive heard, i think a different choice may be a better idea.

Rylan Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 18

Many people use cream cheese frosting under fondant with great success--all you have to do is find the right recipe.

Try out the crusting cream cheese buttercream from designmeacake.com. I've tried it and it works great under fondant and tastes good.

CeeTee Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 18

Fondant does not work well at all over cream cheese icing. It goes on too thick and it's most likely to either dissolve the fondant or glop out of the bottom. Even crusting cream cheese icing is too soft to hold up under fondant. It's better to use ganache or a thin layer of buttercream.

It'd be better to leave the cream cheese as a filling.

Rylan Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTee

Fondant does not work well at all over cream cheese icing. It goes on too thick and it's most likely to either dissolve the fondant or glop out of the bottom. Even crusting cream cheese icing is too soft to hold up under fondant. It's better to use ganache or a thin layer of buttercream.

It'd be better to leave the cream cheese as a filling.

No disrespect but I have to correct this icon_smile.gif . Cream cheese icing can go under fondant. I have done it 3 times with no problems. Like I mentioned, you have to get the right recipe to make it happen.

CeeTee Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 18

No offense or disrespect taken. ^^ But I've tried it twice and had nothing but problems. One time with my standard recipe and the other with a crusting version.

But then I find cream cheese icing in general to be a giant P.I.T.A. to work with so I only use it as filling or loosely iced on a cake with no piped decor. It's yummy, but it's no friend of mine! :LOL:

Rylan Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 18

Hehehe. In case you want to try it again, check out the recipe from designmecake.com (cream cheese buttercream). I actually like it better than regular buttercream--although it does take a while to crust (in that case, I refrigerate it to crust).

emiyeric Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:25pm
post #8 of 18

For sure, if Rylan's had success with a certain recipe, use that recipe, because both times I've tried it, it has melted the inside of my fondant and I've ended up with a puddle of green (or blue) translucent goop at the foot of my cake. Horrible! It tasted wonderful, I LOVE cream cheese icing, but I could simply NOT make it work. So now I use cream cheese filling, but then ice with buttercream or ganache. Which, come to think of it, might be why Rylan's works, since don't you usually use ganache? Or did you not use ganache over the cream cheese icing those 3 times? Either way, use Rylan's recipe, if it's worked before, because although my cakes iced beautifully and I had no trouble covering with fondant, that neon goop made me want to cry. Good luck!

Rylan Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:33pm
post #9 of 18

I used to fill and ice with that recipe without any problems. There are a couple of people I know in here who had success with it as well--even Edna uses it.

I no longer use it since I started using ganache under cakes. I just like the performance of ganache because it forms a firm shell for the cake.

izzy1953 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:52pm
post #10 of 18

rylan can you tell me how much chocolate you use to how much cream for your ganache? and how long does it take to get firm enough to cover in fondant? i really want to try that, but call me a chicken!

princesscatt Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 11:02pm
post #11 of 18

I used cream cheese buttercream for my first cake and it was fine until I took it out of the fridge and it came to room temp and began to burst out of the back of the cake...I think I put too much between the layers so if you use it I would be sure to put only a small amount in between..you can also try to use pre-made cream cheese icing and mix it with buttercream so it doesn't have to be refrigerated.

Rylan Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:39am
post #12 of 18

Izzy, I use a 2:1 ratio for semisweet/dark chocolate to heavy whipping cream and a 3:1 ratio of milk/white chocolate to cream. Always measure by weight--I always measure by pound. I usually refrigerate mines to firm up because it takes hours in room temperature. In the fridge, it gets super firm in about 2 hours or so. If it hardens too much, just pop it in the microvawe every 15 seconds until peanut butter consistency (don't forget to mix it every time). If you microwaved it too much, just pop it in the fridge again.

Princesscatt, not sure why yours began to burst out. Did you put a really stiff dam?

princesscatt Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 12:01pm
post #13 of 18

Princesscatt, not sure why yours began to burst out. Did you put a really stiff dam?[/quote]

No I did not...I'm a newbie so I just used my cake knife and slapped on some icing!! LOL...how does the dam work...i've seen it done on tv...do you use and icing tip and make an outline first and let that get firm?

Rylan Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:35pm
post #14 of 18

For the dam, you can pipe (or just roll it with your hands) a thick icing around the cake so the filling doesn't seep out. You can do that by adding more powdered sugar to your icing (not familiar with your cream cheese icing though) or you can use stiff buttercream.

princesscatt Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:06pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

For the dam, you can pipe (or just roll it with your hands) a thick icing around the cake so the filling doesn't seep out. You can do that by adding more powdered sugar to your icing (not familiar with your cream cheese icing though) or you can use stiff buttercream.

Do you need to let this set before you fill in?

Rylan Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:41pm
post #16 of 18

Nope, you don't need to let it set. Just start filling it in. =]

Lauren251 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 3:06am
post #17 of 18

I have tried two different recipes for cream cheese. The first one was a horrible disaster and melted my fondant. :/

The second one I tried worked like a dream it is more of a cream cheese buttercream. It was from http://www.earlenescakes.com/icings.htm. The website also gives you all kinds of tips for the icing. Im not sure if it crusts since I have only used it for fillings.

If you want a crusting buttercream I would suggest going with Rylan's advice, in which I am as well curious to try.

Brandy982006 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:00am
post #18 of 18

In my photos you will see a basketball cake I did...It is made of carrot cake, cream cheese frosting covered in MMF. I could not find a good cream cheese recipe that worked so I used the store bought kind (I got desperate when nothing else worked). Worked AWESOME! I have tried different recipes for cream cheese and the store bought was the only one that worked for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%