Why Does My Buttercream Look Grainy?

Decorating By izzy1953 Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 10:44pm by L_Collins

izzy1953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzy1953 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 13

i have a great buttercream recipe or so i thought....it tastes really good. its half land o lakes margerine, half crisco, vanilla, water and powd sugar, and it goes on really smooth, but then it looks grainy to me after it sits. anybody know what causes that? i hate it! i need to do a wedding cake this week and i really want it silky ....apparently i need to change recipes huh? advice is greatly appreciated.

12 replies
cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy1953

i have a great buttercream recipe or so i thought....it tastes really good. its half land o lakes margerine, half crisco, vanilla, water and powd sugar, and it goes on really smooth, but then it looks grainy to me after it sits. anybody know what causes that? i hate it! i need to do a wedding cake this week and i really want it silky ....apparently i need to change recipes huh? advice is greatly appreciated.

this is how i make mine, and mine looks grainy and wet looking?? Hope some one can tell us whats going on/

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 13

I've had the same problem a long time ago. All I did is I added more liquid and it came back to normal.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:

and it goes on really smooth, but then it looks grainy to me after it sits.

Are you referring to the "crust" on a crusting American b/c which does set-up upon sitting?

If your b/c actually feels grainy to the tongue, I'd do as Rylan recommended. (Also do you sift your confectioners sugar? I find it does make a difference, as does using 100% cane powdered sugar.)

HTH

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:55am
post #5 of 13

Actually I had this issue when trying margerine. I think it has something to do with how soft margerine gets at room temp. Butter gets soft too but margerine gets runny imo. Try real butter

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:35am
post #6 of 13

Margarine in buttercream? icon_eek.gif Yuck! tapedshut.gif

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:05am
post #7 of 13

i tested this (if by grainy you mean kind of spotty. like, white spots showing through your color). i found the main source of the problem to be using water. i swapped for milk (or cream works) and all the spots were gone. also, crisco instead of butter. the butter left it spotty as well, so maybe your margarine has something to do with it.

here's the link with the test: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=653787&highlight=

izzy1953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzy1953 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:14pm
post #8 of 13

thank you so much everyone! and really land o lakes margerine in buttercream is not yuck even though it may sound that way. i will try using cream or milk in the place of water. i really love this recipe and so do my customers...........as a matter of fact i have one friend who just eats the buttercream in a bowl with a spoon......i know, i know!!! for the wedding cake im making this weekend i have forsaken all butter or margerine for crisco. wish me luck!

Mike_Elder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike_Elder Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:36pm
post #9 of 13

Make sure your using 100% pure cane sugar!! Alot of powdered sugar out there is made from sugar beets and not sugar cane... thta alone will cause alot of graIN... try whipping it longer too

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:48pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:

thank you so much everyone! and really land o lakes margerine in buttercream is not yuck even though it may sound that way. ...for the wedding cake im making this weekend i have forsaken all butter or margerine for crisco. wish me luck!

Nothing is better in buttercream than butter. Margarine is hydrogenated oil...hence the "yuck!" icon_smile.gif

beehivebaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beehivebaby Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:52pm
post #11 of 13

I stopped using margarine years ago and I only use butter, (I use shortening for buttercream) but no offense to anyone that prefers the taste of margarine, its just that its kinda like eating plastic...I don't buy it ever...just my .02 cents...lolicon_smile.gif

Adriana-G Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adriana-G Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 10:39pm
post #12 of 13

izzy1953, I've had the same problem with my icing and was sooo happy icon_biggrin.gif to find Edna on YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuUKaPpHooo&NR=1 -explaining exactly why this happens and what you can do to correct this problem.
Edna (username Tonedna1 on YouTube) explains that Crisco now uses Zero Trans Fats so this cuts the fat in your recipe so icing tends to come out drier and crumbly so you should then use Whole Fat Milk instead of water to replace the missing fat -OR- you can use a Hi Ratio Shortening.
Edna states for her cake decorating business she prefers Hi-Ratio Shortening since the buttercream comes out really, really smooth and not grainy but you can only get this online or through a food service store not your local supermarket. Watch her videos on you tube she is very detailed in her tutorials.
As a newbie to cake decorating, I had been using the Wilton's buttercream recipe I learned taking the Wilton's cake decorating class using store bought Crisco white shortening. Thank's to Edna now I know better.

L_Collins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
L_Collins Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 10:44pm
post #13 of 13

you may try a little white corn syrup also. this makes a smooth consistency.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%