Le Creuset Question

Lounge By ginbug Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 1:36pm by Loucinda

ginbug Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 8

We were gifted a Le Creuset enameled cast iron dutch oven....and I'm trying to figure out how to use it. It came with these little black tab things that go over the sides...I'm assuming this is to protect the body of the pot from the lid? Is that what they're for? Or are they for ventilation? Are we supposed to leave those on when we're cooking, or take them off?

We weren't given directions or anything, and I didn't find mention of the rubber things on the Le Creuset website!

Any ideas on the black rubber thingys?

Thanks!!!!
Ginbug

7 replies
prterrell Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 8

Oooh! You're lucky! We have a Le Creuset and love it! They are awesome! The rubber thingies were just packaging, you can toss them.

As for how to use the pot...you use it like any dutch oven. You can use it on the stovetop to make soups, stocks, chili, etc. You can use it in the oven to braise and roast meats.

ginbug Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks!!

I'll christen it with a stew this weekend!

poohsmomma Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 8

I've had my Le Creuset for 30 years and they're still going strong. My favorite pots for beef stew, swiss steak, and chicken and dumplings.

Ummm that just made me hungry. I think I'll go start supper.

-Tubbs Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 8

Those kinds of pots just get better and better with age. Have fun!

mixinvixen Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:21am
post #6 of 8

i love love love my dutch oven. i brown meat in it, make soups and stew in it, roast chickens in it, make stocks and broths in it, and also bake roasts and other cuts in it...they are excellent to own!!!!!!!!!!! the cast iron allows the pot to heat slowly but evenly, which is perfect for so many things. the lid fits tightly around the top, creating an "oven", thus the name!

maryjsgirl Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:58am
post #7 of 8

I love mine! Great for baking some no knead bread!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

Loucinda Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:36pm
post #8 of 8

I have several pieces, and I LOVE them all. I have had mine for over 20 years, and they still look very nice and are workhorses. These are one investment that I will never regret.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%