Black Royal Icing

Decorating By babeebk Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 6:57pm by hynest

babeebk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babeebk Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 12

I tried making black royal icing last night but it ended up being this yucky greenish/grayish/brownish color instead. The consistency was like Fluff, it was so terrible. I ended up throwing the whole batch it the trash bin. icon_mad.gif I was using wilton gel colors (probably not the best idea). I started with a bit of brown, then blue, then green, and finally black lol. I guess it was my own fault...

Can you all please provide me with some tips for making pure black royal icing for piping. What brand color do you use? Should I use liquid or gel? Or perhaps powder. As you can all see, I really need help. I plan to use it with the grass tip to pipe hair on a sculpted character that I'm making.

I use Toba Garret's Meringue Powder Royal Icing recipe, btw. Thanks!

11 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 12

It will darken as it dries - I add americolor to a charcoal gray color - then it will turn black when dry. HTH!

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 12

I use antonia74's royal icing recipe, when I am done with a project, I take all the leftover colorts, mix them together and add enough americolor black until its black...I dont usually have to add much. Its the same consistancy as the other colors.

SimplyIced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyIced Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 12

I also use antonia74's recipe. I had some brown RI leftover from a little while back and the other night I needed black. I used the Americolor black and it did not take much at all. Maybe like 5 drops. Highly recommend the Americolor black.

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 12

I was just trying to make royal black icing too....my cicing turned out great-consistency wise, but not a black colour!
I only have Wilton colours where I live, and cant have Americolour shipped here either. And im getting a dark grey but no black!

SimplyIced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyIced Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:25pm
post #6 of 12

Pickulz- Why can't you have americolor shipped????

Pickulz Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 12

I live in the middle east -shipping charges are usually a lot and not many companies ship here. I just moved here after living in the US/Canada for over 10 years and I soooo miss going to 'Michaels, Hobby Lobby, AC Moore'!

There are very limited cake decorating supply shops here and they typically carry only Wilton. Though one of my friends is going to visit in November and I going to have her bring it.
Unfortunatley I need black icing and a good red icing for this saturday! Its my sons 5th birthday party and im making a spiderman cake...or attempting to.
I just made white spider webs out of RI and they are drying! Wish I made them black though.
Now Im wondering how to get a good red colour from the Wilton no taste red I have!

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:31pm
post #8 of 12

I was wondering why you couldn't have Americolor shipped as well. Your profile says you're in Virginia!

Pickulz Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:31am
post #9 of 12

oooh....didnt realize that...I use to live in VA till Januaury of this year....miss it terribly...cant wait to go back!!!
I guess its time to update my profile...im still a newbie here on cake central ...

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:51am
post #10 of 12

I had the same problem recently too. I finally got black but by that time my icing was super runny. I was told to use powder colors or start out with just the gel color and no water. Once it was the right color, add water until the consistency was right.

I haven't had a chance to try again yet.

Good luck!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:26am
post #11 of 12

Why didn't you start with just black? I've covered cake boards in black royal icing, using Wilton's and it does get darker as it sits.

hynest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hynest Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 6:57pm
post #12 of 12

I read a post a few weeks back to make black using red. blue and green in equal amounts. I tried it with mmf and it worked great. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%