Imbc - Loses Volume When Adding The Butter?

Baking By Marbs Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 6:41am by Mike1394

Marbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marbs Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 7

I've tried doing the IMBC about four times. My meringue looks very nice but as soon as I start adding the butter it loses volume (almost to a mayonnaise like). I'm not sure if this is what is suppose to do. Or should the icing almost retain the meringue texture prior to adding the butter?

I have waited till the bowl cools off. And the last time, I even placed the bowl in the refrigerator for a little bit. Am I doing something wrong?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

6 replies
cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 7

It will collapse, but should still have a light texture. And that is because of the butter.

cakeymom

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 7

It shouldn't collapse and look like mayonnaise. It should collapse and look like cottage cheese at first, and then smooth out during whipping.

Were your eggs whipped stiff enough?

Was the butter at room temperature, or slightly cold? The butter should be soft, but not so soft you can press your finger farther than half-way. The center of the butter should still be on the colder side.

I don't do IMBC anymore, because I don't have the patience to wait for the sugar syrup to cool down enough before adding it to the eggs. I switched to SMBC, and have had no problems ever since.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 7

I whip my butter before hand. Egg whites should only be at medium peak. The bowl should be below 90 before adding butter. Was sugar at 245?

Mike

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 7

It will collapse some but shouldn't go to the point of mayo.

Marbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marbs Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:44am
post #6 of 7

I did have my eggs whipped to stiff peak and the butter to room temperature, slightly soft.

The sugar was getting above 245 (where some crystals were starting to form on top).

I'll try it again with the whipped butter and sugar temperature to 245.

Thank you all!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:41am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbs

I did have my eggs whipped to stiff peak and the butter to room temperature, slightly soft.

The sugar was getting above 245 (where some crystals were starting to form on top).

I'll try it again with the whipped butter and sugar temperature to 245.

Thank you all!

I would only whip to medium peak.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%