My Mmf Is Always Sticky. Help?!

Baking By Mug-a-Bug Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 3:31pm by mgwebb68

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 13

I've made MMF about 4 times and 3 out of 4 times it's given me sticky problems when I try to roll it out. I end up kneeding in so much PS that it's dry, but somehow still sticks to my counter (even though I use a pile of cornstarch under it)!? icon_confused.gif It's so frustrating I'm ready to give up on MMF! Do you all kneed in the whole 2 lbs of PS when making it? Please help. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

12 replies
ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 13

I am having the same problem! I dont know if I am adding too much veg. shortening? Not enough PS? No idea. Sorry I couldnt help- I'm in the same boat.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 13

I posted this before in a different section and nobody responded. I thought I was the only one! I don't add shortening, so that couldn't be it. At least I'm not alone! icon_biggrin.gif

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 13

When my MMF is too sticky and its getting dry, I add some shortening to my hands and knead it in till I get the right texture. Maybe you should try that, as for the sticking maybe try loosening it more from the counter during the rolling process. I am no expert but it might be worth a try. HTH!

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 13

I don't know what recipe you are using, but I use to have problems too until I found one that worked for me.

I roll my MMF on a sheet of vinyl, that I spray with Crisco spray. If it's too stiff, I put it in the microwave for about 10 to 15 seconds and then knead. I store it in plastic wrap sprayed with crisco. When I'm working with it I spray my hands with Crisco spray. The spray lets you control the amount and you don't have to keep trying to balance shortening with PS.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 13

I use the 'basic' MMF recipe. Melt marshmellows, add PS. I don't like to get too complicated. Should I be adding something else? Thanks again everyone! icon_lol.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 13

2lbs marshmallows, 6lbs ps, 8tblsps liquid(6water,2flavoring usually)

grease wooden spoon to use during melting stage and grease counter...stir in 2-3 lbs of ps to melted marshmallow/liquid mixture. spread remaining ps onto greased counter and knead in. I do use all of it. It's stiff! wrap in greased plastic wrap...then in another round of plastic wrap and leave on counter overnight. next day, take small amounts and knead until pliable(can nuke 12-15 seconds at a time to help soften if desired)...the more it's kneaded, the whiter it gets. I don't have issues with limp, breaking, tearing, stretching, horrible acting fondant anymore.

works for me!

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks for sharing! How much fondant does that recipe make?

rgrady06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rgrady06 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 4:37pm
post #9 of 13

I like to use MMF as well. However, when I'm rolling out big pieces for covering cakes (instead of small pieces for decorations), I grease my surface with shortening instead of using cornstarch. It works MUCH better for me. For smaller pieces, I make a mixture of halft cornstarch and half pwd sugar. Then I pour it into a knee-high hose (never been used) and knot the end. It works as a "pouncer" or dusting pouch. Also, be sure you lift and move your fondant often when rolling out to prevent sticking. It's tedious and annoying, but it's the only way to prevent sticking. Good luck!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 4:39pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith1012

Thanks for sharing! How much fondant does that recipe make?

I never measured it but it's a lot...2lbs mm + 6 lbs sugar = 8lbs?

wchendrix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wchendrix Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 6:16pm
post #11 of 13

does anyone have a good chocolate mmf recipe. this is my first time making it and the recipe i did find didnt turn out. It keeps breaking. i added for water and crisco but still can't get a good texture. It taste great though and i would really like to try it on a cake i'm doing for a baby shower this weekend.

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:34am
post #12 of 13

I havent been able to find one that works either, so I just broke down and bought some Choco pan.... just got here yesterday. So excited! I am trying to talk myself out of using it, I have a cake at the end of the month that I will use it in. But if you find a good one... let me know please.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:31pm
post #13 of 13

I just take out about 1 cup of the PS from my recipe and replace it with cocoa powder and I add a little extra water, the cocoa powder makes it drier than regular.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%