One Layer Topsy Turvy Cake Structural Help!!!!

Decorating By cakeymom Updated 13 Oct 2009 , 4:11pm by cakeymom

cakeymom Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 6

I want to make a topsy turvy like cake for a young lady's 18th b'day. I want the base smaller than the top of the cake. Structurally what do I need to do???? I plan on baking a very vanilla poundcake so that I don't take a chance on having a cake that I can not carve.

1. If I want the base to 8" and the top to be closer to about 9 1/2" in diameter what size cakes layers do I need to bake. Three 10"?????

2. Will this need dowels?????

3. Also, what type of silver colored wire can I use to place the balls on or whatever I plan on using coming out of the cake and where do you get it from????

I plan on using pink and green for my colors and I think I'll keep it simple by using circles and circle cut outs in those colors that I will make out of modeling chocolate. The cake will be iced with an IMBC/American buttercream mixture.(I get rave reviews with this because it's not too sweet for the adults, but sweet enough for the kids.)

I need some help icon_confused.gif

thanks in advance,

cakeymom

5 replies
cakeymom Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 6

Please help this is for THIS Friday

cakeymom

Caths_Cakes Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 6

wish i could help, never done a topsy turvy before.

mrswendel Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 6

The easiest way I have found to do the tapered look is to bake 3 different sized cake. For your cake, I would bake a 8, 9 and 10 inch, then you just have to trim a little bit off to make it smooth. Depending on how tall you bake each cake, you may want to dowel it just to be safe....especially if you are transporting it. For the wire, you can get it anywhere....just make sure that you aren't putting the wire directly in the cake (use straws). Hope that helps a little bit! icon_smile.gif

online_annie Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 6

I create the topsy turvy cake out of different sizes and build it upside down with the larger layer on the bottom and the go from there. I freeze it till firm, then with a great SHARP knife blend all three together. Once finished, dirty ice, flip it. Slant the top if desired and cover with BC or fondant. Dowel it down the center. If this is only one tier, I would call this more of a tapered cake than a topsy turvy, TT would have a slanted top.

Pick a firm wire that have handle the weight and retain its shape. Be sure to insert the wire into a straw hidden in your cake. DO NOT INSERT WIRE DIRECTLY INTO CAKE. That's a no-no.

cakeymom Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 6

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

cakeymom

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%