Wilton Course 1

Decorating By kaddikakes Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 2:00am by cabecakes

kaddikakes Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 11:18am
post #1 of 7

So I made my first cake for class. Leveled, torted . . . so far so good!!! Then I made my "thin" icing so I could ice the cake (we are doing the rainbow). Got my icing tip, filled the bag, put the icing on, smoothed it, and put it in the fridge so I could continue . . . LIGHT BULB . . I forgot to color the icing blue. Frustrated. I made more icing, colored it blue and proceeded to re-ice the cake . . . what a disaster. The icing was so thick, I kept pulling up the white icing. I should have just stuck with the white but I didn't want to be the only one in class with a white cake. icon_cry.gif Can I still fix the icing disaster? I have it in the fridge until class tonight. Thanks for listening.

6 replies
cakebaker1957 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 7

Can you scrape off the icing to a crumb coat? and then start over,

all4cake Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 7

Bless your heart! I mean that too! I have had only a couple of students who actually did it like the picture.

I agree with cakebaker1957...if you can scrape it off...thin down the blue a bit and redo it if you have time. If not, take it as is...you won't get points deducted or sent to the corner...you can share your fiasco with the class so they can learn from it....

kaddikakes Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you. I don't think I will have time to scrape it off and re-do. But I will certainly share tonight in class. I will now know for next time (hopefully won't be one) what to do. icon_razz.gif

TexasSugar Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 7

When you get to the store buy some of the blue color spray and spray over it! icon_smile.gif

Don't stress about your cake. You are not graded in the class. My students always come in the first night they bring cakes with one issue or another. I always point out that it is their first cake for class and things will get better.

Relax and enjoy yourself in class tonight.

Chasey Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 7

Oh my goodness, don't stress over the color of the icing!! Your instructor must be going 100% by the book? Ours didn't even do that cake! We just brought in a white iced cake each night and on the supposed "rainbow" cake....we imprinted the surface with a variety of cookie cutters and filled those in instead. Allowed for more individual creativity!

I say go to class and don't worry about what color your cake is! icon_biggrin.gif

cabecakes Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:00am
post #7 of 7

Just tell them you want to be different. It'll all be fine. The class is supposed to be fun. Cake decorating is supposed to be fun. That's why we all enjoy it so much, and keep coming back for more. Even when we do have a disaster. You should have seen my first cake...and my second...and my well you get the idea. Have fun at class.

Quote by @%username% on %date%