How Do I Achieve This Look/color?

Decorating By Rylan Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 1:40am by Rylan

Rylan Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:05am
post #1 of 18

I really like the color of this cake:

I tried to PM her but I don't think she has logged on yet. I'll try contacting Marina Sousa and hopefully she responds. I was wondering if there is any way I can achieve the look on the fondant without an airbrush machine.

17 replies
mo1066 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:06am
post #2 of 18

looks to me as though the colour has been done using silver dusting powder,try some on a spare piece of fondant. thumbs_up.gif

Rylan Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:16am
post #3 of 18

Thanks for the suggestion--I never thought of silver. There seems to be a base color, I'm just not sure what it is.

Rylan Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 18

Anyone? I emailed Marina and she said she's actually on her way to Oprah so she couldn't get the chance to explain everything until next week.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 18

It looks to me to be more of a platinum. Maybe a fawn base color with overlays of silver dusting powder. I didn't think airbrush at all.

Rylan Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 18

What would be the best way to achieve that color? Do you think I can possible start with a light brown chocolate fondant?

Donnagardner Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 18

It looks like gray sprayed with super pearl maybe? Just a guess.

Mme_K Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 18

Could it be AmeriColor's bronze sheen airbrush color? Don't know how you'd achieve it without an airbrush, but I would be interested in knowing too. thumbs_up.gif

Rylan Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:03pm
post #10 of 18

I'm confused now. So I start with bronze or gray and then dust it dry with NuSilver? It seems to have a brownish tint that I can't seem to figure out.

arosstx Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:05pm
post #11 of 18

That brownish tint reminds me of champagne luster dust. Maybe start with that. It's definitely airbrushed. Have you contacted the owner of the picture and asked them? It may just be the lighting.

Rylan Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:14pm
post #12 of 18

Audrey, I actually did but I am waiting for a reply. I don't have champagne color dust but the color seems to be in the same shade as your avatar with some sheen in it. Do you agree?

prterrell Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:15pm
post #13 of 18

You know what? You're right, it does have a brownish tint. I just noticed the silvery-ness at first, but the longer I stare at it the more brown it looks!

I'm thinking a peachy-brown fondant with a combination of dusts?
Maybe champagne
mixed with tan opal
and the nusilver?

Maybe bronze and nusilver????

Maybe some petal dusts brushed on first?

Somehow nothing seems to be quite "it"... icon_mad.gif
You've definitely found a stumper Rylan! If you figure it out, let us know!

arosstx Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:17pm
post #14 of 18

Yes, now that I look at it more, it seems more bronze-y. Probably gonna have to play around with it some and see if you can get it if you never get a response. I wish PM was more like IM, haha. Definitely an interesting color, one you don't see very often. I like stuff like that.

Rylan Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:23pm
post #15 of 18

Thanks Prterrell and Audrey! I think I should give those a try. Thanks a lot!

matthewkyrankelly Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 10:14pm
post #16 of 18

Rylan - here's what I see

Next to silver, it will seem more brown. Next to brown and bronze it will seem more silver. I would start with a pale brown color, but more like that of a grey squirrel.

Tracye Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 10:22pm
post #17 of 18

At the bottom of all the comments on the photo, someone posted it was gold on top, silver on the bottom. I would guess they airbrushed silver, and then gold on top of that.

I'm not sure, though.

Rylan Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:40am
post #18 of 18

Thanks for all the suggestion. I'll try each one of them and see which matches the best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%