Is This Too Christmasy?

Decorating By Mickey17 Updated 13 Oct 2009 , 12:43pm by cutthecake

Mickey17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickey17 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:21am
post #1 of 12

I have a baby shower that I working on for a friend who is due December 27th. When I first thought about her shower, I came up with a design idea that I was REALLY happy with. I wanted to do a Christmas tree with a gumpaste baby popping out of a present box underneath.

Now, I find out that the shower is actually going to be the first weekend in November and the baby shower invite were very pastel-ly. So I am totally wondering if I should change my design. But I LOVE the idea. So is it too early for a Christmas cake, even if the baby is due then. Would the red and green be too over the top?

11 replies
aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:25am
post #2 of 12

I love your idea of the baby popping out of a present box. Why not use the idea but make it a pastel box or white box with pastel ribbon. Lose the Christmas tree, as its a month away.

You could do two layer and have pastel ribbons on the other layer or polka dots.

Good luck.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:59am
post #3 of 12

Stick with your design...that's what I usually do.

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:58am
post #4 of 12

I would do your design with the pastel colors.

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 10:35am
post #5 of 12

Coming from a person who's bday is Dec 27th, I always try to keep it separate from Christmas. Although I do like your concept of the tree and present but like the idea of pastel colors. I think the red and green are a little to bold. JMO.

Nikki

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 11:35am
post #6 of 12

I love your idea but I would do it all in pastels if that is the colour theme. Do a pastel green Christmas tree with pastel decorations and a pastel coloured (or white with pastel accents) gift box etc. Just change the colour scheme to match the colour scheme of the party.

BUT, a lot of Mum's with bubs due on Christmas desperately want to separate their child's birthday from Christmas. My neice was due on 27th Dec and the thought of her coming on Christmas day really stressed my sister out - she wanted her to have her own special day. Anyway, my point is, maybe you should run your idea past the person organising the shower or the mum-to-be.

As I said before, I personally LOVE your idea!

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 11:44am
post #7 of 12

I love your idea, if you are unsure, why not run it past the mother-2-be? Unless it is to be a surprise, why not find out where she stands on this. You could just make a 3D box cake with a "baby" popping out. I've seen some very cute shower cakes like that as well.

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:08pm
post #8 of 12

As a mother who's daughter was due Christmas day, I had her on the 18th.
I keep her birthday from Christmas. We do not put up our tree until the day after her birthday. The only way she is tied to Christmas time is her name is Noelle and that is because I love that name.
I would honestly go with the pastel colors for the gift and either do a pastel green tree or take the tree out of the idea. Good luck with your cake as it is a cute idea.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:17pm
post #9 of 12

I would make a present box w/ the baby coming out, leave out the tree. If you want to hint to the christmas theme, just put a little sprig (?) of holly on the side, or put a few ornaments on around the gift box.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:18pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztomcat

I love your idea of the baby popping out of a present box. Why not use the idea but make it a pastel box or white box with pastel ribbon. Lose the Christmas tree, as its a month away.

You could do two layer and have pastel ribbons on the other layer or polka dots.

Good luck.

I agree.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:41pm
post #11 of 12

I would take my lead from the invitation and use those colors.

And it's not a birthday celebration--it's a shower for the 'package that will soon be delivered'.

I'd do a pastel sleigh with the package/baby idea--make it all baby & pastel but I think adding the 'delivery of the package' near Christams is appropo and genius for a shower.

Or use the sleigh as a bassinette?

Random thoughts....

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:43pm
post #12 of 12

I LOVE everything Christmas. But not before Thanksgiving. Your idea is very cute--but pastels sound like the way to go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%