Having Trouble Getting Marshmallow Fondant To Dry....

Decorating By skippy Updated 13 Oct 2009 , 6:12pm by skippy

skippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skippy Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:20am
post #1 of 9

[/b]I have used marshmallow fondant for a long time. I am just now having trouble with it drying. I can't seem to get it to harden. I am making bow loops for a puffy bow. I need them to be finished by Friday. I need some help.

8 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:27am
post #2 of 9

Sometimes when it's really humid, it doesn't dry as well. You could knead in some tylose or gum-tex, or make your bow from gumpaste. It seems like it should dry by Friday...I've never had it take that long to dry, even when I had AC troubles and it was so humid in the house that it felt like we could have wrung out the curtains.

skippy Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:32am
post #3 of 9

I have already made the loops. I have read that I can put them in a cool ove with just the light on and they will dry.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 6:07am
post #4 of 9

In the oven with the light on does help - but I really can't get my MMF to dry hard either. I usually mix with 1/2 gumpaste.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 9

I can't get just plain MMF to dry. I will mix it with tylose if I am using it for a piece that needs to be firm. (and it takes more tylose than wilton fondant takes to get it to work right, IMO) You may have to remake your pieces - good luck.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:06pm
post #6 of 9

The very first bow I made was in MMF and it took a week to harden. I suggest a fan. But if you are needing it very quickly then I suggest you make some gum paste and do it over. You can place it in front of a fan to help speed the drying time.

edited: for typing like a moron..LOL Sometimes my fingers just do not listen.

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 9

I had this exact problem about a month ago, the only thing that really help was time... it took about 3 days for mine to dry out and I had to use melted chocolate to get it to hold up, BC was not working. Good luck! Cant wait to see it!

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 4:59pm
post #8 of 9

fondant takes quite a while to dry, my figurines can take weeks, you wouldn't want to put gumpaste or tylos in the cake topping but yes in the bows, ect. i put my loops on their side to keep their shape and that will work to keep them up when assembled, or if you want you bow all togeather at once put support inside the loops, even with just the fondant it can be assembled the next day

skippy Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone, The oven trick worked like a dream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%