Ultimate Cake

Lounge By madgeowens Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 12:25am by tonedna

madgeowens Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:04am
post #1 of 25

wow they were really awesome cakes.......all of them

24 replies
kricket Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:21am
post #2 of 25

Here in the Pacific Time Zone, the show just started 20 minutes ago, so I don't know how it ends or who wins. Regarding the first challenge (stacking): why didn't they stack according to size. It was big, small, big small. Am I wrong or doesn't it make more sense to stack the big layers on the bottom, then add the small layers on top?

chelseak Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:24am
post #3 of 25

Me too! I love Anne's work, it's so clean. I can't believe how her cake turned out after having to sit out for an hour! I hate that they make them do that. I don't know why they feel the need to add the extra drama, we just want to see the cakes already!! I love watching how they work, I don't need to see a two foot high pile of rainbow cake....That has nothing to do with the fact that they are extremely talented people and can really crank out a lot of amazing work in 9 hours. JMO!

chelseak Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:26am
post #4 of 25

Oooops, Sorry if you haven't finished watching it yet......

adven68 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:39pm
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kricket

Regarding the first challenge (stacking): why didn't they stack according to size. It was big, small, big small. Am I wrong or doesn't it make more sense to stack the big layers on the bottom, then add the small layers on top?

All I kept thinking was: "DUH" icon_confused.gif

But, knowing these crazy producers, they probably had some crazy rule, like no consecutive cakes of the same color...

otherwise, my 7 year old would have done a better job.

MichelleM77 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 25

Has anyone else noticed that the winner is always in gold? I've watched four episodes where that happened. Strange coincidence?

I love Anne's cakes too!

cylstrial Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

Has anyone else noticed that the winner is always in gold? I've watched four episodes where that happened. Strange coincidence?

I love Anne's cakes too!

LOL! You never know...maybe it's rigged! Hehe. (I'm joking here).

But...I have to say that I was really glad that Anne won!

AverageMom Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:34pm
post #8 of 25

Kricket, I was wondering the same thing. There must have been a rule. They can't really have been so foolish.
Are the cakes we see made the same ones given at the event? Or are they recreated? I'm just trying to get a handle on the time line.

cylstrial Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:00pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageMom

Are the cakes we see made the same ones given at the event? Or are they recreated? I'm just trying to get a handle on the time line.

I would like to know too!

-K8memphis Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:11pm
post #10 of 25

Here's my burning question.

Why does the CakeDivas judge think so highly of Dana for cutting his foam cleanly? She said it was "terrfic" with a fist pump and "A+ in her book"--maybe it was the editing again--

But dude, he's doing poured sugar, elaborate cake sculpting including two 3 foot Legomen and another three foot cake being suspended on their arms and she raves about the clean foam cut?

That's gotta be editing?

But I like Margaret's judging--the others not so much.

I'm really happy Kate did so well--she had a disasterous Food TV challenge once. She did great on this one I think.

And Anne's was awesome--they called it simple or something --the guy judge--grr.

The judging is off to me on this show. The comments are random and at best are edited poorly.

madgeowens Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:49pm
post #11 of 25

I argued with my grandson..he said it was cake I said it was styrofoam.............haha

tonedna Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:59pm
post #12 of 25

I love the show!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:09pm
post #13 of 25

I always miss the show! When is it on Edna? _ I am in FL's time zone.

cylstrial Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:00pm
post #14 of 25

It's on at 10PM Eastern on Monday nights. It's on TLC.

chelseak Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:28pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:

Kricket, I was wondering the same thing. There must have been a rule. They can't really have been so foolish.

I did see an episode where there was a little blurb on the screen about how the cake was not the same cake done at the challenge. So i guess they recreate at the event.

sugarshack Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:33pm
post #16 of 25

The winning cake goes to the event the next day. The cake is not re-created.

icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:57pm
post #17 of 25

It does seem that most of the winners are in yellow and get penalized twice. icon_eek.gif

I was surprised how complimentary the judges were about Kate Sullivan's vanilla cake. Does anyone know if she has published that recipe? The one she submitted to the TLC site is a yellow cake recipe. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

k8, cutting styro is a messy, messy business, and the fondant always shows with horrid detail how messy the styro is underneath it. That he cut it cleanly with a red-hot spatula was pretty freaking smart. I'm with Leah on that one...and I'm sure she raved about many other things in what was probably a 10 - 12 hour day condensed into a mere 42 minutes of airtime.

cylstrial Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:06pm
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseak

Quote:

I did see an episode where there was a little blurb on the screen about how the cake was not the same cake done at the challenge. So i guess they recreate at the event.

It makes sense that it would be a separate cake. So they have time to make the cake look nice.

sugarshack Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:07pm
post #19 of 25

the cake created goes to the event and is not redone, but I do not think that cake is served as it is not food safe. they bring in sheet cakes to serve, i think

Rosie2 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:22pm
post #20 of 25

Yikes, I don't like to watch TV so I don't even have cable...is there a way to watch those in Internet??

Although, would it be extreme to get cable just to watch cake shows??? I'm seriously thinking about it LOL icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:53pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

the cake created goes to the event and is not redone, but I do not think that cake is served as it is not food safe. they bring in sheet cakes to serve, i think

Thanks Sharon! Good to know!

diane706 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:16pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kricket

Here in the Pacific Time Zone, the show just started 20 minutes ago, so I don't know how it ends or who wins. Regarding the first challenge (stacking): why didn't they stack according to size. It was big, small, big small. Am I wrong or doesn't it make more sense to stack the big layers on the bottom, then add the small layers on top?

Yeah, I didn't get this either and was very icon_confused.gif at what they were doing. The judge said the winner was based on the one that was the tallest and didn't fall over, right?

IMHO, I really don't think that Michael or Leigh have what it takes to be judging cake decorating professionals. They drive me crazy with some of their clueless comments! Margaret is that show's "saving grace". But dang, Michael IS pretty easy on the eyes!

On a positive note, I'm one of the "minorities" that actually like the mini challenges that they do. I think it's pretty entertaining seeing who can stand up under the pressure of the challenge on top of everything else and to choose the other team who has to sit out for 30 min. icon_wink.gif

-K8memphis Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:45pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

k8, cutting styro is a messy, messy business, and the fondant always shows with horrid detail how messy the styro is underneath it. That he cut it cleanly with a red-hot spatula was pretty freaking smart. I'm with Leah on that one...and I'm sure she raved about many other things in what was probably a 10 - 12 hour day condensed into a mere 42 minutes of airtime.

I don't know I mean I cut styro all the time--I guess what he did was cool--seemed like the least thing to mention with such gusto considering all his talents and at the start of the show--weird to me.

Wow--did you see that? He can cut styrofoam--he musta stayed at a Holiday Inn? icon_biggrin.gif

I mean worse case scenario and he did not sacrifice his spatula to the fire gods--and he sawed it with a knife--had a few styro bits floating around--it was such a small area he had to cut--it's just not anywhere near that big a deal to me.

It's complementing him on the randomest thing. icon_rolleyes.gif He made poured sugar pyrafrickenmids for crying out loud! Check out the cut on that styrofoam--<fist pump> that you can't see unseen underneath the fondant. Geez Total duh

I'm blaming the ones who did the editing of the show.

I

chelseak Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:25am
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

Oops! I think I was confusing it with another show I saw.... pretty sure it was a Disney one now that I think about it.... Sorry! icon_smile.gif How on earth do they transport those??! Take them apart and put back together piece by piece?

tonedna Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:25am
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

I always miss the show! When is it on Edna? _ I am in FL's time zone.

Mondays at 10 pm
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%