Dont Have Americolour Red?

Decorating By Pickulz Updated 13 Oct 2009 , 6:59pm by sadsmile

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 4:14am
post #1 of 7

I need to make my buttercream a nice red (for spiderman)...but alas I dont have the very famous 'Americolour' , and I cant purchase it at this time. I do have Wilton's no taste red...but whats the best way to get a good red? I read that I should colour it pink first? Any specific pink I should use? I think I have rose colour. any other ideas?

6 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 4:32am
post #2 of 7

I think it is better to start with red than pink.

Bearkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bearkitty Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 4:38am
post #3 of 7

I used a whole jar (small one) of the regular red wilton color and although it showed an off red color at first, the color turned to a true red in about an hour. I used about three fourths of a whole batch of butter cream dream for the red food color if that helps any. If you look in my photos you will see what color my spiderman cake turned out.
Hope that helps.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 6:46am
post #4 of 7

I learned here on cc that if I want to make vibrant colors, color the frosting the night before to give the colors time to develop. Since I started doing that I don't use as much color as I used to.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 7

The best red I have ever achieved was to start with pink. Either Wilton's rose or pink, either one will do. I use whichever one I happen to grab. Color your icing hot pink to start (I know it's scary, but trust me on this). Then start adding red coloring. You'll be amazed at how little red it will take, and how vibrant the end color will be.

Good luck!!!

~Chelle

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 6:50pm
post #6 of 7

Thats interesting Chelle, I never looked at it that way. Thanks for the info.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 7

The whole issue with Wilton colors is taste and how much it takes to achieve a true color.

I used to use Wilton red(only red) and got a true red on my 4Th of July cake but it did taste a little "off".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%