Painting On Fondant. . Help!

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 13 Oct 2009 , 2:51pm by forheavenscake

forheavenscake Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:13am
post #1 of 13

I am making a cake this weekend with my work logo on it (allstate). . .you know the circle with the hands?? Anyway, I am wrapping the cake in fondant and then want to put the logo in the middle. . buttercream transfer won't work well cause it's going on top of fondant, so I was going to try to 'paint' it on. BUT I"VE NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE! LOL

I am worried that if I 'etch' the pattern on with a toothpick or exacto knife first that you'll see the lines through the painting #1 (I absolutely can't freehand. .not THAT talented yet). . and #2 what should I use to paint with.. dust mixed with vanilla etc?

Like I said, never done this before. . .really could use some help and guidance!

Thanks so much!

12 replies
jmr531 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:19am
post #2 of 13
step0nmi Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:31am
post #3 of 13

i think the above post is a really good suggestion, but you would have to start now.

another way you could do this is make a circle to start your logo with an edible marker. (you can get them at Michaels or Hobby Lobby) then you could use a toothpick and do the pin prick method of making a line for the hands by going through the paper onto the fondant. then paint your blue color in the circle and then use some white frosting to do the lines of the hands! I don't see any reason why you can't use BC on top of the fondant.

Hope this makes sense!

forheavenscake Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:33am
post #4 of 13

This is perfect!! thank you so much JMR! Question though. .. what did she use to line & fill the pony in?? Royal icing? i've never worked with royal icing if that's what it is, so could use advice on that as well. . LOL

step0nmi Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:35am
post #5 of 13

i should clarify. when painting with food coloring you can use a little bit of vanilla to help thin it out. You don't want to use straight food coloring because that would be too hard to work with

forheavenscake Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:47am
post #6 of 13

Why would I need to start now if I do the RI method? (ahh. . i'm getting so nervous)

step0nmi Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:53am
post #7 of 13
Originally Posted by slparker

Why would I need to start now if I do the RI method? (ahh. . i'm getting so nervous)

well, if you read the directions (working with RI) you have to let your icing harden. especially if you are going to do a fondant/gumpaste back like she shows you need to do that now to let it harden also.

also, I don't see why you can't just stick with what you know/work with. BC can go on top of fondant and I don't see why a bc transfer wouldn't work icon_smile.gif

Elise87 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:56am
post #8 of 13

I did a buttercream cake once and i printed off a photo of a cartoon fisherman and i place some baking paper over it (acetate would prob work better) and piped and flooded over the image similar to the above and let it dry, lifted it off and popped in on the cake and it looked fine!

Edited to say: it might not work on really intricate work (not sure what your logo looks like exactly) cose thins bits coming of it might break off when lifting it off, so the plaque might be good in that case

jmr531 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:57am
post #9 of 13

In the slideshow I sent you, she does use royal icing. I agree with should start asap if you are going to try this. Not only do you need to let the royal icing dry/harden between each step, but if you haven't tried this before you should give yourself extra time in case you make mistakes or need to resolve problems that occur along the way.

newmansmom2004 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:05am
post #10 of 13

If you do the RI design on some parchment or acetate, here's a little tip to get the design off without breaking. When you get ready to take the design off, place your paper with the design at the edge of a flat counter and slowly push the design off of the counter. As you push the design, slowly pull the paper or acetate off the bottom side of your design. It will just roll off the bottom. I've busted more color flow and RI designs than I care to mention just trying to lift them off of the paper or using a knife to get underneath and coax them off. My cake instructor gave me this tip and it works very well.

forheavenscake Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:00pm
post #11 of 13

thank you so much for all the tips! I will be starting this evening. I appreciate all the help! You have no idea!

online_annie Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:21pm
post #12 of 13

I'm trying to unerstand why you could not do a BC Transfer? It works on Fondant too. Have you considered an edible image?

forheavenscake Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:51pm
post #13 of 13

The only reason I was afraid of doing BC on the fondant is cause in all the tutorials I had seen the end product comes out with a 'rim' around it and i didn't think it'd blend well on top of the fondant.

I am going to start working on it tonight with the wax paper and RI. Fingers Crossed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%