Freezing Cakes

Decorating By ebear Updated 13 Oct 2009 , 2:26am by millermom

ebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebear Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:09am
post #1 of 4

Hi..I am doing a 3 tiered cake in early Nov but want to bake the layers soon. What is the best way to do this? Do I torte them first or just freeze them once they're baked? Should I wrap them in saran? I don't want to goof on these cakes as they are for my parents 50th anniversary. The last time I froze a cake it became all sticky as it unthawed.

TIA icon_smile.gif

3 replies
jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:23am
post #2 of 4

When I need to freeze a cake, I do the following.
- After baking, I let it cool completely
- Double wrap in plastic wrap
- Wrap well in foil

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I do not torte the cake before freezing. I only torte my cakes when I am ready to assemble the cake.

Cakeandcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeandcupcakes Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:25am
post #3 of 4

I freeze them untorted but it wouldn't really matter if you just cut them and didn't fill them. Then I wrap them in saran. If they are sticky when you thaw them they just need to sit out longer to dry. You can easily freeze cake for a few months.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:26am
post #4 of 4

I would torte them first, then you are all ready to go! I crumb coat them frozen as well, so I want them all torted and ready to go when I pull them out of the freezer.

Don't skimp on the plastic wrap! If they are well wrapped, they will keep just fine in the freezer for a month!

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%