Need Great Buttercream Icing Recipe

Baking By jjlglover Updated 13 Oct 2009 , 9:58pm by JanH

jjlglover Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:33am
post #1 of 6

I've recently started making cakes & thought I had a good buttercream recipe. It tastes great and is easy to use for decorating. However, if it sits out for any amount of time it gets "grainy." I'm looking for a great buttercream recipe/secret that will help with this problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

5 replies
JanH Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:50am
post #2 of 6

Hi and Welcome to CC, jjlglover. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) and so much more!

poohsmomma Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 6

Hi jjglover,
Welcome to CC. You're going to like it here.

This is the best, most workable, greatest tasting buttercream I've found on CC:

Give it a try-I think you'll like it.

makeminepink Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 6

The above mentioned recipe is the one I've started using also. I use 1/2 butter though. One of the secrets I've learned on here to have less air bubbles-- though you may not have this problem-- is to make enough at a time so that your mixer blade is under the icing. So... I've been making her recipe x 2 1/2, but think I may try 3 next time. 2 1/2 works, but 3 might be even better. I don't triple the vanilla though-- that would be a bottle!

poohsmomma Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 6

Yes, makeminepink, you're right about the recipe working better if you fill up your mixer. I usually double the recipe.

I like to add a little butter flavoring to it, as well.

JanH Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 6
Originally Posted by jjlglover

However, if it sits out for any amount of time it gets "grainy."

Are you referring to the "crust" on a crusting American b/c which does set-up upon sitting?

If your b/c actually feels grainy to the tongue, I'd add a bit more liquid to the recipe. (Also do you sift your confectioners sugar? I find it does make a difference, as does using 100% cane powdered sugar.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%