Panicking!! Sps Will Not Arrive In Time. What Can I Do?

Decorating By cakesbycathy Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 6:25pm by MichelleM77

cakesbycathy Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:24am
post #1 of 13

So I totally thought I had the right size plates and pillars in my supplies for my cakes this weekend and when I went to pull them out just now realized I do NOT! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

If course I can't get them ordered in time to arrive by Friday.

I have a 6"square cake going on top of an 8" square cake and also a 6" round cake going on top of a 9" round. What other support system can I use OTHER THAN dowels. I have had horrible experiences with doweling which is why I switched to SPS.

Please help!! icon_cry.gif

12 replies
kanwal Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:47am
post #2 of 13

How about the Wilton seperator plates and legs that go into them? I've used them and not had a problem. I'm sure you must have a Michaels nearby.

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:49am
post #3 of 13

These are itty bitty two tiers? I wouldn't waste SPS on a two tier cake. That's what bubble tea straws are for: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AN47XS/?tag=cakecentral-20

-Tubbs Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 13

For cakes that small I use cookie sticks.

cakesbycathy Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 13

For the one cake I am not as worried since I am delivering it about 5 miles away.

However, the other cake is being transported over an hour away by the client's parents. I am really worried about that one.

Do the WIlton seperator plates and legs essentially work the same as the SPS?

DLo912 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 13

Where do you usually buy your SPS from? I haven't used it yet, but I may be doing the wedding cake for a friend next year and would like to try using it before then.

(sorry to add another question to your question!)

mommyle Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:02pm
post #7 of 13

The Wilton stuff is essentially the same. I use it all the time. It will be fine. However, for that distance I think you will still be okay with the bubble tea straws. I just delivered 1.5 hrs away and it was fine (in the mountains, I might add).

BCo Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 13

I now only use SPS for all of my stacked cakes - 2 tiers or larger - I've had disasters w/ 2 tiers as well and will never not use SPS. If Wilton is similar then I would try that. If Wilton doesn't have that little pointy bump thing in the middle of the plates to hold the cardboard round then I would definitely use carpet tape on the plastic plate to hold the cardboard round in place. I use the carpet tape w/ all of my SPS plates no matter how high I'm stacking. I found the carpet tape at Home Depot but I suppose you could use a strong double sided tape instead.....Those tiers will not budge!! icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:52pm
post #9 of 13

I have two 6" round SPS plates and pillars. Is that what you need?

I order from Lark's. http://www.larkscakeandcandy.com/

cakesbycathy Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:48am
post #10 of 13

Michelle, those are the ones I need!
I also need a 6' square. Does Wilton make those? Wonder if Pat Catan's carries them, since that's closer to me than Michaels. Can I put a 6" square cake on the round plate or would that look off?

I'm so tired I can't even think straight icon_razz.gif

Rylan Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:55am
post #11 of 13

I think you will do fine with bubble tea straws if done right. I've travelled a 4 tier cake for 30 miles, on a ceramic pedestal stand with no problems.

tguegirl Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:12am
post #12 of 13

Use bubble tea straws and a bamboo skewer or two through the entire thing to keep it from moving! If you have a cardboard cakeboard or foamboard as your base, make sure the skewers go into the board when you are skewering the cake, and it'll hold steady. I've never used SPSS--just this method--and I've had three-tier cakes travel fine.

MichelleM77 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:25pm
post #13 of 13

Cathy,

Sorry I'm just getting back to this post. I work strange hours, so in turn I sleep very strange hours. icon_smile.gif

I don't think anyone will know it's a round plate under the square cake until they take apart the cake. As long as the plate doesn't show it should work okay. I have it if you need it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%