Panicking!! Sps Will Not Arrive In Time. What Can I Do?

Decorating By cakesbycathy Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 6:25pm by MichelleM77

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:24am
post #1 of 13

So I totally thought I had the right size plates and pillars in my supplies for my cakes this weekend and when I went to pull them out just now realized I do NOT! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

If course I can't get them ordered in time to arrive by Friday.

I have a 6"square cake going on top of an 8" square cake and also a 6" round cake going on top of a 9" round. What other support system can I use OTHER THAN dowels. I have had horrible experiences with doweling which is why I switched to SPS.

Please help!! icon_cry.gif

12 replies
kanwal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kanwal Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:47am
post #2 of 13

How about the Wilton seperator plates and legs that go into them? I've used them and not had a problem. I'm sure you must have a Michaels nearby.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:49am
post #3 of 13

These are itty bitty two tiers? I wouldn't waste SPS on a two tier cake. That's what bubble tea straws are for: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AN47XS/?tag=cakecentral-20

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 13

For cakes that small I use cookie sticks.

cakesbycathy Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 13

For the one cake I am not as worried since I am delivering it about 5 miles away.

However, the other cake is being transported over an hour away by the client's parents. I am really worried about that one.

Do the WIlton seperator plates and legs essentially work the same as the SPS?

DLo912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DLo912 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 13

Where do you usually buy your SPS from? I haven't used it yet, but I may be doing the wedding cake for a friend next year and would like to try using it before then.

(sorry to add another question to your question!)

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:02pm
post #7 of 13

The Wilton stuff is essentially the same. I use it all the time. It will be fine. However, for that distance I think you will still be okay with the bubble tea straws. I just delivered 1.5 hrs away and it was fine (in the mountains, I might add).

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 13

I now only use SPS for all of my stacked cakes - 2 tiers or larger - I've had disasters w/ 2 tiers as well and will never not use SPS. If Wilton is similar then I would try that. If Wilton doesn't have that little pointy bump thing in the middle of the plates to hold the cardboard round then I would definitely use carpet tape on the plastic plate to hold the cardboard round in place. I use the carpet tape w/ all of my SPS plates no matter how high I'm stacking. I found the carpet tape at Home Depot but I suppose you could use a strong double sided tape instead.....Those tiers will not budge!! icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:52pm
post #9 of 13

I have two 6" round SPS plates and pillars. Is that what you need?

I order from Lark's. http://www.larkscakeandcandy.com/

cakesbycathy Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:48am
post #10 of 13

Michelle, those are the ones I need!
I also need a 6' square. Does Wilton make those? Wonder if Pat Catan's carries them, since that's closer to me than Michaels. Can I put a 6" square cake on the round plate or would that look off?

I'm so tired I can't even think straight icon_razz.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:55am
post #11 of 13

I think you will do fine with bubble tea straws if done right. I've travelled a 4 tier cake for 30 miles, on a ceramic pedestal stand with no problems.

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:12am
post #12 of 13

Use bubble tea straws and a bamboo skewer or two through the entire thing to keep it from moving! If you have a cardboard cakeboard or foamboard as your base, make sure the skewers go into the board when you are skewering the cake, and it'll hold steady. I've never used SPSS--just this method--and I've had three-tier cakes travel fine.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:25pm
post #13 of 13

Cathy,

Sorry I'm just getting back to this post. I work strange hours, so in turn I sleep very strange hours. icon_smile.gif

I don't think anyone will know it's a round plate under the square cake until they take apart the cake. As long as the plate doesn't show it should work okay. I have it if you need it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%