New To The Cricut And Fondant/gum Paste

Decorating By babycakesinms Updated 13 Oct 2009 , 2:18am by TWest

babycakesinms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakesinms Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:15am
post #1 of 4

Okay ladies, This is all new to me and I need some help here. I am currently a stay at home mom with some time on my hands. I have a cricut that is still in the box and has been sitting in my closet for over a month. I have been researching and taking in all of this information. I am not experienced with doing cakes but would love to learn everything that I can about cake decorating. I have done a few cakes for family and friends but they were all the star tipped cakes. I know that this may sound stupid but I have to know before I get started. How do you color the fondant/gumpaste? And second of all, how do you attach it to the cakes? Is there some type of sugar glue that you use to get it to stick? Please anyone that has any advice, send me what you can. I would appreciate any help!!!

God Bless!!!! icon_eek.gif

3 replies
zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:27am
post #2 of 4

There was a post on here that I've tried to find on this subject can anyone direct us to it ?

MaryKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryKakes Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:31am
post #3 of 4

Well, baby cakes...welcome to the obsession! First things first. I have no idea what a cricut is. To color fondant and gum paste, I use the gel colors - I find they change the texture of the medium the least. Liquid color really thins it and, especially for newbies, you want fondant and gum paste with some body. Fondant is for covering your cake and making some decorations. Gum paste is used to make rock hard, very durable decorations and can be rolled really thinly - typically used for flowers. Roses are especially delicate and, with practice, can be achieved very realistically. Take a toothpick and poke a hole in the top of the gel paste foil. Collect some color and poke the lump of fondant/gum paste. A little goes a long way and you can get some beautiful variations. Knead that in pulling like taffy - and add more the same way until you get the color you're looking for. Keep fondant and gum paste covered - tightly. Wrap it tightly with cling wrap first, then into a zip lock bag. If it crusts over, you'll have a mess! Good luck!

TWest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TWest Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:18am
post #4 of 4

To get the fondant to stick to the cake you need to "crumb coat" the cake first with icing... such as buttercream. Crumb coating is just a fancy way to say cover the cake in icing. Let it set up and roll out your fondant and lay it over the cake. Start at the top and smooth it down and then work your way PATIENTLY down the sides from the top to the bottom to work out all the pleats. Be sure not to push in the pleats because they will not go away if you do this. You just slowly work your way around and down the cake until you get the desired look. It isn't as easy as it looks, so be patient with yourself and just keep trying. A good way to practice is use one of your cake pans and turn it upside down to cover with the fondant. This gives great practice and you can just remove it and start again. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%