How To Make Buttercream Shimmer/shine?

Decorating By pendewitt Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 10:10pm by Mike_Elder

pendewitt Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 5

Please help!!! I have a wedding cake coming up and the cake the bride picked out is covered in fondant with royal icing piping that shimmers. She doesn't want fondant or royal icing and wants it all buttercream. Is there a way to make buttercream shimmer? Can i just mix luster/pearl dust directly into the icing? I've tried mixing it directly in but i couldn't really tell that it had a shimmer to it but maybe i didn't use enough. Please give me some suggests. Thanks!

4 replies
live2create Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 5

How about airbrushing a shimmer paint onto the cake.

TexasSugar Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 5

No you can't mix it in the icing, but you can brush it on the buttercream after it has crusted. You can either dry brush or make a mixture of dust and vanilla extract or alcohol (vodka, gin, everclear) and paint it with a soft brush and a soft touch.

patticakesnc Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 5

Global Sugar Art sells the luster spray the super pearl luster.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=20036&name=Lustre%20Spray%20Pearl%20by%20PME

You can spray your cake with it to make it shine.

Mike_Elder Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 5

It may sound funny but I airbrush ALMOST EVERYTHING WITH PEARL OR SHIMMER!!!! i GOT SEVERAL DIFFERENT TYPES but lucks sells an easy to use bottle. I strain it though cuz it likes to spatter from time to time

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%