Cake Boards? Foam Boards?

Decorating By Pickulz Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 8:57pm by prterrell

Pickulz Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 4

Ive seen in a lot of pictures that teh cake is sitting on something similar to a cake board but it is much thicker? What is that?

typically seen them for round cakes, and often have some colour on them and a ribbon around it? Is it a foam board cut in a circle? What do you cover the foam board with?

3 replies
prterrell Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 4

The larger thicker board is called a cake drum.

Typically they are purchased that way. GSA and other vendors sell them.

Basically they are several layers of cardboard covered in food-safe decorative foil (silver, gold, and white are the most typical colors found).

You can make your own by taping together three cake boards and covering in food-safe foil--florist's foil is sometimes used, but you have to be careful, because some florist's foils are not food safe.

If you want to use a non-food safe foil or even wrapping paper, make sure you cover it with a layer of plastic wrap (i.e. Saran Wrap) to make it food-safe.

You can also use foam core cut to shape and covered.

You can also purchase masonite cake drums. These are much heavier and sturdier, but are also more expensive and are not disposable, while the cardboard/foam core cake drums are disposable.

Some decorators further decorate the cake drum by gluing ribbon around the edge. Others cover the cake drum with fondant to match the cake.

Pickulz Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much!!!

prterrell Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 4

You're welcome! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%