Cake Comments

Decorating By Janette Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 7:51pm by catlharper

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 46

I don't know if this was mentioned recently, I know it's good to post occasionaly.

I was on the gallery and wanted to comment on some of the beautiful cakes I saw but, their comments wasn't turned on.

I noticed they seemed to be new members and don't know to turn it on to receive comments.

45 replies
cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 46

That very well could be. I know when I first signed up a couple months ago, I didn't even realize what the comments were for so I left it marked no. It wasn't until later I realized and went back into my profile and turned it on. It could also be that being new members they don't understand that we all try to give pleasant comments and not criticism. But they will catch on. Being new I know some of my cakes aren't as good as others, but I'm still very proud of each and every one, because each one taught me something new.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 46

I've been telling people when I see their comments turned off...if I'm looking at their cakes because of a forum post, I'll mention it when replying to their post, if I'm just looking through the galleries and see something I want to comment on and can't, I'll send a PM. Not everyone who uploads their cake photos also posts in the forums.

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 46

Perhaps some want to share, but are afraid of bad comments...? We are our own worst critics at times. Although I have never seen a negative comment posted to date. CCer's are for the most part extremely supportive especially in the gallery.

Janette Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 46

I usually send a pm as well. And there are those that do not want comments and that's fine too. When I see they are new members I think to post the subject so maybe they will see it, but you're right they may not see it.

meri1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meri1028 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 46

I'm glad you guys posted this! I just put a cake up earlier today I was watching under my photos and no one was posting any comments. And I checked my profile and my comments was checked "no". I don't know how this got this way. I have had it checked to "yes" before. Maybe when I updated my profile it set these back to default. I enjoy getting comments from all the CC users. It really boosts my confidence!

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 46

Got excited and just checked mine, but it is 'on' just not getting comments... must try harder icon_sad.gif It's ok just am such a compliment junkie and having withdrawl sypmtoms icon_redface.gif

jdconcc Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 46

Got excited and just checked mine, but it is 'on' just not getting comments... must try harder icon_sad.gif It's ok just am such a compliment junkie and having withdrawl sypmtoms icon_redface.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 46

Maybe they just want to show off their cakes and not get ten thousand "tutorial plzzzz?" left in the comments. Or "e-mail me instructions!" Just a thought.

jdconcc Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 9:25pm
post #10 of 46

I would think being asked for instructions or a tutorial would be a huge compliment and if you can't or don't want to provide it then you don't have to. Something tells me Jamie's bored and baiting us icon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 9:36pm
post #11 of 46

No no no.

This is ok: "That is cool! If you ever make a tutorial, it sure would be neat to see!"

or

"Love it! Beautiful!"....and then the person PM's the poster of the pic for further questions.

I'm talking about the 50 million people who just say "Instructions?" "Can you make a tutorial?" "E-mail me instructions!"

Uhhhhhhhhh, really? icon_biggrin.gif

cags31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cags31 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 10:14pm
post #12 of 46

I just noticed after reading your thread, that in my profile my comments was off icon_sad.gif . I had posted a cake a few weeks ago and had recived no comments and thought that was odd (or nobody liked my cake). My settings must have changed somehow becuase i have received comments on previous cakes. It's always nice when you recieve compliments, it makes your hard work worthwhile. icon_smile.gif

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 10:29pm
post #13 of 46

Me too, I do not know why it was off...and because I read this I went to check and found out this. I made two cake and no coments at all, I love to get comment so I can get better in what I do wrong. Could you please see my pics and let me know what should I improve. I will appreciate it.

jdconcc Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 6:21am
post #14 of 46

[quote="LURVELY"]No no no.

Apologies icon_smile.gif That sounds fair enough it's all in the wording I guess. I would just be over the moon however anyone asked, demanded or begged... icon_lol.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 6:37am
post #15 of 46

I'm a comment junkie too...I just really like to know that people like what I'm doing. Sadly, my comments are marked "on", just not getting comments on the past several cakes I put up. SIGH. It's hard on the ego when you get 100 views and not one comment. Maybe this is why people have their comments marked "off"? Just a thought.

Cat

jdconcc Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 11:10am
post #16 of 46

Hi Catlharper

I just looked at your pics, I love the beer keg... and left a comment!!!! icon_smile.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:28pm
post #17 of 46

I usually have my comments off for a couple of reasons. One being that over the years, I have put so many cakes up that the sheer volume of comments is overwhelming. The other is that, if I don't get a chance to go to the comments and thank each and every commenter...I get reamed.

Oh, yes, I do. thumbsdown.gif

so, as not to seem ungrateful (which I am not), I have to turn them off.

They happen to be on at the moment becasue I wasn't able to enter the Halloween contest without them being on icon_confused.gif

edited to add:
LURVELY is right about the tutorial, too. I can't tell you how many times I get " can you please send me detailed instructions on making this entire 3 -tier topsy-turvy", not even a please or a thank you....as if I owe it to them.

On the other hand, if you ask politely for a hint or two...then I will probably be able to help, gladly. icon_smile.gif

Janette Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:37pm
post #18 of 46

I can't believe that members would expect a thank you for a comment. Most of us are lucky to read our comments but to thank everyone. I guess you could go on later and write a thank you to all that left a comment.

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:54pm
post #19 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

I'm a comment junkie too...I just really like to know that people like what I'm doing. Sadly, my comments are marked "on", just not getting comments on the past several cakes I put up. SIGH. It's hard on the ego when you get 100 views and not one comment. Maybe this is why people have their comments marked "off"? Just a thought.

Cat

Yes, that too.Comments is a tricky topic in these parts.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:12pm
post #20 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

I can't believe that members would expect a thank you for a comment. Most of us are lucky to read our comments but to thank everyone. I guess you could go on later and write a thank you to all that left a comment.

Ohhhhhh...yes they do....not everyone, of course....but the one bitter moment I had at CC revolves around this very issue, so i would rather not have anyone feel shunned (whether they are right or wrong)...

all in all...comments make you feel great. I appreciate all the time people take out to write them & I enjoy leaving commetns whenver I can.
I remember being a newbie and nothing was more important than someone recognizing my work....so comment everyone!! comment!!! icon_biggrin.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:18pm
post #21 of 46

I have had a few comments on the cakes I have posted. But, I did check my profile anyway, just to be sure it didn't get turned off. I think I don't post more of my cakes because I just feel bad that I can't seem to get any comments, so I feel like they aren't worth posting. Plus, when I do get them, if I respond back it seems like the kiss of death, no one else is going to comment.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:57pm
post #22 of 46

Oh geez, I've been terribly remiss then if we are supposed to thank those who commented! It totally didn't even dawn on me! I guess it's because I wouldn't ever expect anyone to say thank you to me for any of my comments! It's not that I am ungrateful, I am VERY grateful, it just never dawned on me.

I have to say I don't comment on photos every single time but I make an extra effort to recognize the work if there are no comments at all.

Cat

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 4:50pm
post #23 of 46

We all love to get comments, but I know there are lots of reasons folks turn them off. Shoot, I've been tempted lately because my cakes get so little notice! icon_biggrin.gif How sad is that?? icon_biggrin.gif I tell myself there are a jillion cakes posted and most are SO wonderful, but then it's disappointing anyway. It makes me sad when I love a cake I did and nobody else does!
I feel like a 5 year old wanting attention! Pretty please???

It's just human nature though...... icon_wink.gif

Jodie

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:11pm
post #24 of 46

I know exactly how you feel, especially the newbies. You finally get up the confidence to post some photos, and because they may not be grandiose and/or copyable, you get no comments. What I am saying is that most lookers don't dislike the cake, they just are more focused on finding something really special, and don't take the time to comment. It also seems to me that the older photos got more comments when they originally were posted than the newer ones. That is probably because there are many more new ones than there used to be, and people's expectations for "really special" have changed, maybe due to seeing so many cake shows and competitions on TV.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:19pm
post #25 of 46

I decided that starting today I will leave at least one comment per day for someone. And I already have. It may not get more comments for myself, but if I can help make someone else feel better, or more confident, than that will make me feel better too.

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:27pm
post #26 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by floral1210

I know exactly how you feel, especially the newbies. You finally get up the confidence to post some photos, and because they may not be grandiose and/or copyable, you get no comments. What I am saying is that most lookers don't dislike the cake, they just are more focused on finding something really special, and don't take the time to comment. It also seems to me that the older photos got more comments when they originally were posted than the newer ones. That is probably because there are many more new ones than there used to be, and people's expectations for "really special" have changed, maybe due to seeing so many cake shows and competitions on TV.

Most often, there are over 1000 cakes posted per day! It's probably a lot more than there used to be, but there are probably a lot more members now than there used to be who could be posting comments too! I found that 2 3-tiered cakes that I posted got more comments than the rest of mine. They were simple cakes.... but big.... go figure. I may not comment on every cake I view but I do make it a point to comment on several each time I log on. If everybody did that, there would certainly be far fewer cakes with no comments. thumbs_up.gif
JMO

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:40pm
post #27 of 46

I recently sent PM's to two members who did not have their comments allowed control turned on, to let them know how much I enjoyed seeing their cakes. I mentioned the controls issue to them. Both of them responded that they did not want the controls turned on, for different reasons. This is not the first time I've seen this, it's just the most recent.

Respecting their privacy, I will not discuss those reasons here.

My suggestion - if you want to tell them about their cake, or ask them questions on howyadunit, then by all means, PM them. People still enjoy hearing about their cakes, and I've always gotten pleasant responses from those who I had to PM instead.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:44pm
post #28 of 46

i don't think anyone said it here, but i've seen it said before: how people want comments to justify how good they are (or think they are) and how their self confidence crumbles because no one cares/doesn't like your cake enough to comment.

for me, that's not the case. if i want comments, it's to get real constructive criticism. i know that that is a very slippery slope around here though, because what one person feels is constructive criticism, another feels is just plain rude or hurtful. so, it's asking a lot.

also, i'd rather my cakes get favorited than get all the "oooh so pretty" comments. but again, that's just me icon_biggrin.gif (and yes, i know "favorites" are a whoooole different conversation.)

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:46pm
post #29 of 46

I'm just glad the most saved cakes of the day function is back. I'm lazy. I figure if it's made into that filmstrip, I'd better have a look see and check out what is interesting.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:52pm
post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

i don't think anyone said it here, but i've seen it said before: how people want comments to justify how good they are (or think they are) and how their self confidence crumbles because no one cares/doesn't like your cake enough to comment.

for me, that's not the case. if i want comments, it's to get real constructive criticism. i know that that is a very slippery slope around here though, because what one person feels is constructive criticism, another feels is just plain rude or hurtful. so, it's asking a lot.

also, i'd rather my cakes get favorited than get all the "oooh so pretty" comments. but again, that's just me icon_biggrin.gif (and yes, i know "favorites" are a whoooole different conversation.)

Amen. I could not have said it better.

And since you feel that way, don't hesitate to ask those of us who would give you honest opinions to send you a PM to let you know what can be done to make your work better. There are plenty of members here who thrive on helping someone become a superior cake decorator, and would be so willing to share constructive critiques on your work with you.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%