Tonka Truck Cake

Decorating By angiev77 Updated 13 Oct 2009 , 4:22am by BakingGirl

angiev77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angiev77 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone have any instructions about how to make a Tonka truck 3-D cake? I have seen the pictures on the internet and they all seem so different and I can't really tell from the pictures how they are put together.

3 replies
BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 4

I am not sure what type of Tonka truck you are wanting to make, there are so many different ones out there. I have made one digger cake and one dump truck cake (both in my photos). I did not have instructions for either, I just made it up as I went along. The best advice I can give you is to find the type of truck you want to make, print out some pictures, or get a toy version of the truck you want to make, and take it from there. I have backed sheet cakes that I have stacked and carved to suit whatever size I need. Just make sure you have enough time for drying gum paste parts if you are using them.

angiev77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angiev77 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 4

I WANT TO MAKE A DUMP TRUCK. I THINK THAT WOULD BE THE EASIEST OF THEM ALL PLUS I WOULD LIKE TO PUT SOME "DIRT" IN THE BACK.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 4:22am
post #4 of 4

As I mentioned I would use a toy dump truck as your model, and take it from there. For my dump truck I used one layer of cake at the dump part, then made gum paste panels for the sides. That gave it the proper illusion of depth, and I was also able to fill it with cookie crumb dirt and gummy worms. (Hot tip, if you are using gummy worms, make sure there is enough for each child at the party, there was nearly a riot when I served this cake because there were not enough worms to go around!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%