Recipe Help

Baking By he_calls_me_angel Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 10:56pm by he_calls_me_angel

he_calls_me_angel Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 10

So I am totally new to all of this, I've always loved to bake but recently it's all I want to do, I've been lurking here and haven't had the guts to post any of my cake pictures yet...but I was hoping you guys might be willing to help me with a recipe...

I am trying to reverse engineer a cookie that a coffee shop I worked in during college used to sell in south Louisiana. I know it came from a local bakery that is still in business but I am now living in another state so I am having to go by memory. It was called a turtle cookie but it was basically a sandie topped with a swirl of chocolate.

The sandie part I've got but the chocolate is what I need help with. It wasn't a really soft chocolate like an icing but it wasn't hard either... it was almost like caramel but not quite... I know this is a very vague description but I'm really not sure how to describe it but I am hoping someone will pop up and say "I know exactly what you are talking about"

I would appreciate any input you guys can give me!

9 replies
caseyhayes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 10

I've heard of the turtle cookie but I don't have a clue. Just thought I'd give you a bumpicon_smile.gif

cownsj Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 10

I don't have a clue, wish I could help. but I'll give you a bump to keep this at the top of the list.

erincc Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 10

Maybe this is softer than what you want, but I'm thinking of the filling that's in Chocolate Revel Bars if you 've ever had those. It's a 12 oz. bag of semi sweet chocolate chips, 1 T. butter, a can of sweetened condensed milk, pinch of salt and 1 tsp. of vanilla melted together. So it's chocolate, but tastes kind of caramel-y because of the sweetened condensed milk. Hope you find what you are looking for!

he_calls_me_angel Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 10

I may try that just to see if its close to what I am looking for it may just take a couple of trys to get something close but I was hoping someone might know what I am talking about lol thanks!

prterrell Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 10

Maybe it was ganache? Ganache, if you've never had it, is what the inside of traditional chocolate truffles is. It is super easy to make. It's just a 2:1 ratio of chocolate to heavy cream. Heat the cream and chocolate together in the top of a double boiler/heat-proof bowl set over pot of simmering water until melted, stirring occasionally. Or you can heat the cream to just under a boil (about 200 deg) and then pour over the chocolate and wait 5 minutes, then stir to combine.

he_calls_me_angel Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 10

forgive me, as I said I am very new to attempting more than basic baking but I thought ganache was always very thin (I've used it to pour over cheesecakes) but can it be made thicker? Or maybe I can wait until it starts to cool and then use it to pipe? You know that very well maybe what it is.

prterrell Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 9:47pm
post #8 of 10

The ratio above is for thicker ganache. It's the ratio I use for truffles and for filling cakes. If you let it cool, it will thicken up a lot.

erincc Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 10:08pm
post #9 of 10

I wonder if this is it? It's an old recipe from the 50's.

he_calls_me_angel Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 10:56pm
post #10 of 10

You know what, I think that is it! I think she just put her own spin on it, like I said the cookie was pretty much a sandie but she didn't do the pecans on the outside they were mixed into the batter and she piped a swirl of chocolate on top instead of just icing it but I found a picture of this recipe and it looks like it I'm going to try it, thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%