Freezing Cookies That Are Already Iced

Baking By notjustcakes Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 3:02pm by MichelleM77

notjustcakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 12

Hi all...I used to do tons of cookie bouquets, but as I sit here typing, I'm realizing that the last order I had was in January...So I've kind of forgotten what I can and cannot do with decorated cookies icon_redface.gif So....I know I can freeze my cream cheese based sugar cookies no problem...Can I freeze them after they are decorated with a powdered sugar based (has some butter) icing that crusts over pretty solid? It also has corn syrup (the icing)? Any advice appreciated.

11 replies
notjustcakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 12

Pretty please???Anyone...Help....thanks

luv2bake6 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 12

There are a couple of threads where this is discussed and i believe that people have had success freezing already decorated cookies

misabel99 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:18am
post #4 of 12

Yes you can freeze them I do this all the time

Ro40 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:15am
post #5 of 12

misabel99:

what is your advice for freezing?

thanks

cookiedecorator Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 12

To freeze decorated cookies. Lay them out on a cookie sheet. Put them in the freezer for about 20 minutes (until icing is hard). Then remove them. Stack them in zip lock bags (the ones that are pleated and have a flat bottom are best), or in plastic containers. I put bubble wrap (the kind with the little bubbles) and waxed paper between the cookies. (The waxed paper is so the bubble wrap doesn't touch the cookies.) Works every time.

Ro40 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks. Do you defrost them in the package or out of the package?

cookiedecorator Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 10:10pm
post #8 of 12

I defrost them in my convection oven. I lay them on cookie sheets and then pop them into the oven for 3 minutes. It works for me. You may want to test one to see how your icing responds to this. Otherwise just let them defrost on the cookie sheets.

RachieRach Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 11:47pm
post #9 of 12

To defrost, I keep the cookies in the package and let come to room temperature on the counter. I've heard others defrost in the fridge.
I've never tried the oven!

CakeDiva73 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:16am
post #10 of 12

Will this work for NFSC covered in fondant with RI accents too?

cookiedecorator Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:25pm
post #11 of 12

The oven works great for me for defrosting them. I don't do know how it would work with fondant with royal icing accents...I have never used fondant. When in doubt...experiment.

MichelleM77 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:02pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Will this work for NFSC covered in fondant with RI accents too?

I have a few in the freezer right now (NFSC/SI/RI) as I've been curious as to how everyone freezes decorated cookies, but one has already had the fondant break off (the fondant broke into a few pieces and snapped off), so I'm guessing it's not a great idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%