Help!!!!! Fundraiser Saturday!!!

Business By jonahsmom Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 9:25pm by cownsj

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 11

I was asked to participate in a fundraiser for the Humane Society (no kill animal shelter) this weekend. All I need to do is bring a door prize, some samples (I'm thinking cupcakes? mini cupcakes?), brochures, pics of my work, business cards.

I just found out that probably about 300 people will be shuffling through. 300 PEOPLE!!!!!

This is my first attempt at really getting out there to show myself off. So....any of you pros have any tips or anything? If I had more time (and if this was a bridal show or something like that) I would've made some displays to show off, however, this is outside so I want to keep it super simple - plus people are really there to raise money for the dogs, but a friend of mine (marketing director at the location of Bark-tober Fest) talked me into doing this.

Thanks in advance for ANY advice you can offer!

10 replies
CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 11

Cupcakes sound best to me. Are you the only one providing eats for this shindig? If you were close I'd help you out with the cuppies! I don't do minis, but yummy and simple is good and easy. Are you gonna try and do 300??!! Hope the weather is good for the outdoor Bark-tober Fest!

jonahsmom Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 11

It's supposed to be hovering right about 60 and I don't see any precip right now in the forecast. There will be other goodies as well, so I'm not sure how many I should make. I was going to try to do about 300 - do you think that's too many?

I'm gonna do a candy barrel cake with a doggy ribbon on it for my door prize. That should be simple enough! And I won't have to smooth my frosting! icon_smile.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 11

I too wish you were within driving distance of me, I'd be more than happy to help. I'd definitely do cupcakes, less cleanup, but if time is too much, you can always do some basic cakes that will be cut for people, but then you need plates, forks, etc.

Would they let you sell the cupcakes or slices at like $1 each to help raise money, instead of just giving them away? It's a bargain price, and it's that's much more money that goes to the shelter. Plus, people seem to appreciate that you're raising more money for the shelter and will buy from you. I just know when we helped our local dog park at a fundraiser we sold cake by the slice and people who didn't necessarily want cake bought some to help the event. And we even actually got an order out of it. We also kept our book of pictures there, away from the cake and frosting, and people went through it, which brought more people over because our table looked busier. It also helped that people realized it was homemade cake and that we didn't just buy cupcakes at the local supermarket. Just a thought...

jonahsmom Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 11

Okay - so she said the humane society is expecting 300, but she thinks it will probably be more like 150. I think I'll plan on making 150 cuppies and "suggest" a donation of a buck or two with proceeds going to the humane society.

If you think of anything I'm forgetting feel free to gently remind me!!!

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 11

I must be warped. 300 doesn't even sound like a lot of cupcakes to me anymore . . .

jonahsmom Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 11

Honestly, it didn't sound like too many to me either after I thought about how easy the would be. Bake and swirl for the fundraiser...that's it!!

jonahsmom Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 11

I had an idea for a promotion for tomorrow and want to get your expert opinions! I haven't mentioned it yet, and plan to call someone as soon as you all give me your thoughts -

I thought about offering a discount of "x" amount/percentage for anyone who adopts a pet from the shelter in the next "x" days or month or so. It would involve the shelter staff signing off on a certificate of some sort, so I need to clear it with them first (short notice I know!)

I just wanted to know what you thought? If you think it's good idea, do any of you have any verbage you think should be on the certificate?

cownsj Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 7:58pm
post #9 of 11

I don't think it's a bad idea; I'm just not sure how many will adopt because of it. But the only thing you have to lose is some paper and ink. And if someone does adopt, they get the bonus of being able to get a beautiful cake at a discount. It can't hurt, and I think I would do it. I'll be curious to know how it works out.

That is my initial reaction, I'll keep mulling it over and see if I feel differntly later on.

jonahsmom Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 9:19pm
post #10 of 11

I talked with the gal from the humane society. They actually didn't have a prize for pet costume contest so she suggested that I offer a certificate for that instead. Much easier on my part!!!!

cownsj Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 9:25pm
post #11 of 11

That sounds like a great idea. They needed something and you were already there to offer more help. I hope it leads to lots of orders for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%