Newbie Filling Question

Baking By luv2c_cultures Updated 13 Oct 2009 , 5:57pm by prterrell

luv2c_cultures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2c_cultures Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone know of a cake filling that I could use with a white cake that does not require refrigeration and that is not buttercream? Thanks!

7 replies
ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 8

At most cake decorating stores or online decorating supply you can purchase many different fillings in sleeves that do not need to be refrigerated. But if you are wanting to make it from scratch there is a section on here for fillings- I've heard good things about a raspberry filling that you dont need to refrigerate.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 8

Here is a huge list of recipes for both cake and fillings. If you're not sure about refrigeration, I would pm whoever submitted the recipe.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

Or just look under fillings in the recipe section.

HTH

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 8

Great list! Thanks for sharing!

luv2c_cultures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2c_cultures Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:00am
post #5 of 8

Thanks! I was looking under the recipe section but it seemed that most fillings had either dairy or eggs in them so I thought that they needed to be refrigerated.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:37am
post #6 of 8

You could use jam or preserves. They will be fine out of the fridge.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 4:02am
post #7 of 8

Go with the sleeved fillings that you can be at cake decorating supply stores or online, they are meant for cakes and do not seep into the cake. No refrigeration required either. Jams and preserves will both seep into the cake and they do require refrigeration.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:57pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdrsolo

Go with the sleeved fillings that you can be at cake decorating supply stores or online, they are meant for cakes and do not seep into the cake. No refrigeration required either. Jams and preserves will both seep into the cake and they do require refrigeration.

Jams and preserves will not spoil out of the fridge for a long time on their own. Inside a cake, the cake will be eaten long before they begin to spoil. Remember, people did not always have refrigeration. Making jams and other types of preserves were how people prevented fruits from spoiling. Many companies put "refrigerate after opening" on their products as a CYA. It *can* prolong the life of the product, but for many products it is not actually neccessary.

I use jam and preserves in cakes often. I've never had them seep into the cake and I never use a buttercream layer with them to "seal" the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%