Red Velvet Cake Bleeding Thru Icing

Decorating By sugarjunky Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 10:18am by sugarjunky

sugarjunky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarjunky Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:15am
post #1 of 5

I am new to cake decorating and have found that I have a problem w/ bleeding thru my white BC icing whenever I make RV cake. This seems to happen even though I crumb coat it first. It is fine for the first day, then by the next day or so, I see pink stain coming through (most notably on the top edge around the border area). I have not made this cake from scratch and have been using the DH box mix which is quite bright red. So, not sure how much food color is added to their mix. It makes an extremely moist cake with lots of crumbs.

Is their a trick or solution to preventing this from happening? I would very much like to make a tiered RV cake for an upcoming halloween party. Thanks so much.

4 replies
akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:41am
post #2 of 5

Hmm, I'm not sure, maybe you need a thicker layer of icing. I make a scratch red velvet, but I use half the amount called for of food coloring.

Maybe you could let the layers air dry for a couple of hours before you ice, to get rid of the outside moisture.

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 9:54am
post #3 of 5

I also use DH mix. I had this happen once (when it hadn't happened before). I believe it was because the crumb coat was too thin. Hasn't happened again so maybe that was the reason.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 5

I also use the DH RV. I do 2 crumb coats. By the time I get the 3rd layer of icing on, it holds fine.

sugarjunky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarjunky Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 10:18am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the tips...I will try them.
icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%