How Do I Attach My Gumpaste Numbers To The Top Of My Cake?

Decorating By jenjen1018 Updated 13 Oct 2009 , 6:42pm by dessert1st

jenjen1018 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:19am
post #1 of 6

How do I attach my gum paste numbers to the tops of my cake without having them crumble on me?? I have had NO success with gum paste so far. It has all broken up....What am I doing wrong? icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
StaceyCakes75 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:26am
post #2 of 6

are you making them thick enough? Or maybe too thick? That might make them too heavy to stay up. I usually roll out a snake, form the number and stick tooth picks in the bottom and let dry for a few days. How are you forming the numbers? Maybe if your gum paste it too dry you should add a little shorting to it while forming the number.

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:26am
post #3 of 6

Most people put a wire or a toothpick in the number before it dries. I like to use a bamboo skewer if it's a big number or a plastic lollipop stick (wilton sells them) if it's not that tall.

What kind of gumpaste are you using? does it crumble when you're working with it or after it's dry?

jenjen1018 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:34am
post #4 of 6

Thanks! I am using the gumpaste recipe from Wilton (on the back of the glucose and the gumtex containers) Maybe that is the problem? I have used plenty of shortening, and they crumble after they have dried...Maybe they were too big or heavy..It was a number 2 and maybe the hook was too large or something?? Any suggestions on another type of gumpaste would be great! What about just adding tylose to gumpaste?

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:51am
post #5 of 6

If you have some tylose, use Nicholas Lodge's recipe instead of'll be jumping for joy the first time you try it icon_biggrin.gif I used to use that Wilton recipe and it never made anything like N Lodge's recipe.

Maybe you picked them up before they were totally dry. Thick pieces can take a long time to dry.

dessert1st Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 6

I drew my number pattern onto my rolled out gumpaste/fondant mixture (using a sharp knife) and added a wide piece at the bottom that I would insert right into the cake. It was an inch or more wide, and aprobably an inch long, but only as thick as the number itself. If I can get the picture to post I will add it later. (I hope you can understand my description,,, the number and "tab" were all one piece - similar to the wax number candles that you can purchase that insert into a cake.)

To be safe, I didn't insert them through the buttercream until it was time to present the cake, but I didn't have any softening issues at all. I was a little afraid because the numbers only had a few hours to dry before I needed them. They were a last minute substitute for a crystal beaded topper that I was attempting to make, which was a total failure!

Quote by @%username% on %date%