Help Combining Cake Ideas

Decorating By Mickey17 Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 8:01pm by prterrell

Mickey17 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:19am
post #1 of 10

I am doing a cake for twin 5 year olds. I talked to them and their mom today. The boy wants Batman, the girl wants Pink Princess or Tinkerbell. Neither is feeling excited about anything that is for them both like Mickey Mouse.

Everyone is ok with 2 cakes, but I don't really want to do two if I don't have to. Any suggestions.

9 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:26am
post #2 of 10

The kids would probably like two cakes the best, just because they probably always have to share everything since they're twins. But that would be a lot more work.

What shape are you doing? Tiers, sheet, etc?

OMGitsaLisa Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:42am
post #3 of 10

I'm with Texas_Rose on this one - they would probably really prefer having two cakes. I wasn't even a twin, but since my birthday was 4 days before my sister (who was older by 3 years) we usually had a combined party and cake. It got old really fast, even when we both agreed on the theme for the cake.

Beyond that, I can't think of any way that would combine the two themes in any cohesive manner that would probably please the kids. They're just so different.

Mickey17 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:59am
post #4 of 10

I am probably doing rounds....either 2 seperate or a tiered cake. I don't really do sheet cakes. (Not that I hate them, but I haven't done them and don't have the pans.)

I also have a baby shower cake that I have promised for that weekend, so it could be my busiest weekend EVER. (I am a hobbyist who does things only for friends.)

Kitagrl Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:09am
post #5 of 10

I agree with two cakes...or maybe a two sided cake....2-3 tiers with the design split down the middle....

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:16am
post #6 of 10

I was just looking at your photos...I love the Green Eggs and Ham cake. I wanted to leave you a comment on it but it looks like you've got the comments turned off. Anyhow, it's great!

A tiered cake that was split down the middle into the two themes would be cute...maybe gray on the Batman side, with Batman scaling the side, and purple on the Tinkerbell side (goes better with the gray), and then a big number 5 on top in a neutral color. I think two separate rounds would be easier though.

miny Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:43am
post #7 of 10

That happened to me once, they are triplets and the mom wanted me to incorporate superman, spiderman and Cinderella in one cake but when I told her about everyone having their own cake she loved the idea and she really love the final product, it's in my pics if you want to look at it. The kids loved having their own cake too!

Brandy982006 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:52am
post #8 of 10

I guess I will just give my own personal feelings on this one...I am a twin and my sis and I shared a cake EVERY Year until we turned 16. It was so annoying to share a cake with her because she ALWAYS blew out the candles before they finished singing Happy Birthday. Now, after all these years, we both try to blow out the candles first...I finally got them before her last year, LOL. Anyhow...two cakes, that to me is the best idea.

Mickey17 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 10

Texas_Rose - Thanks for letting me know that comments were turned off.....I must have done that by accident.

I guess I am just going to do 2 cakes. I suppose 2 one tier cakes are not any more work than a 2 tiered cake. *Sigh*

prterrell Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:01pm
post #10 of 10

No, they're not. Two smaller individually decorated cakes will be darling, though. Keep in mind how excited the kids will be! If you *really* want to do the tiered look, you could always do a cupcake on top of a 6 or 7 inch cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%