Experimented With A Candy Clay Rose..

Decorating By agentdorkfish Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 2:32pm by agentdorkfish

agentdorkfish Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:11am
post #1 of 12

..and didn't have much success. It started ok, but when I tried to "fluff" the petals it cracked along the edges. Any thoughts on why this happened?

11 replies
Rylan Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:28am
post #2 of 12

Did you fully let the candy clay rest? What recipe did you use?

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:30am
post #3 of 12

Play-doh, candy clay...just get some gumpaste already icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Just teasing, I've never used candy clay so no idea why it did that, but your play-doh rose was looking pretty great...I saw it and thought I couldn't wait to see what you do when you have gumpaste.

agentdorkfish Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:38am
post #4 of 12

Rylan, the recipe I used was just candy melts and corn syrup. Nothing flashy. And I did allow it to rest. It was hard when I got back to it. But after I kneaded it for a few minutes it was about the same consistency of Play-Doh.

texas_rose, I haven't gotten any gumpaste because it's so dang expensive! And I am on a tight budget! Plus, using the candy clay would mean somebody would actually eat the roses and not just throw them out! icon_smile.gif

Another question, I found a recipe on here (http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2250/fondant-for-sculpting) for fondant you can sculpt. Would I be able to make decent roses with that? And how long does it take for it to dry?

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:45am
post #5 of 12

I'm on a tight budget too. I use Nick Lodge's recipe...it costs me $4 to make a batch because it takes half a jar of Tylose ($2), 2 lbs powdered sugar ($1.50) and 4 egg whites (maybe 50 cents).

You can make roses with fondant too but it can't be worked as thin as gumpaste, and it also takes longer to dry. The more I do with gumpaste, the less I want to do with fondant, other than covering cakes and details like that icon_biggrin.gif Gumpaste also stays on wires much better than fondant.

Also, if you can find a half-off coupon for one of the craft stores, you could get a bag of Wilton's premade gumpaste for about $5, I think.

Sugarflowers Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:46am
post #6 of 12

It sounds like it might be a little bit dry. Try adding a small amount of glycerin to soften it. This stuff sets up quickly, so maybe working a little faster will help.

I use what I call Chocolate Leather: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6383/chocolate-leather It's very easy to use and tastes great. If you make it with white chocolate (cheap chocolate bark), then you will need to knead in some powdered sugar because it will be too soft. A friend of mine mixes it with fondant for larger pieces like clothing.

agentdorkfish Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:48am
post #7 of 12

I'm probably going to break down and buy some gumpaste. I'm going to actually get a chance to go to Michael's Friday, and they had a coupon in their ad this week. Two coupons, actually. One for 50 off, and one for 40 off. I might get me some!

Rylan Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:06am
post #8 of 12

Hmmm, maybe it has something to do with the ratio of the ingredients--not sure though. In case you want to try it again, here is a recipe from Toba Garrett: http://www.cakecamp.com/presenters/tgarrett_101.html

I suggest you use gumpaste when making flowers because it is the best medium in my opinion. I sometimes use Wilton fondant and just add tylose powder.

adree313 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:20am
post #9 of 12

gumpaste is my favorite thing ever. it's so easy to work with. i wish i could use it for all the little details of a cake!

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:30am
post #10 of 12

I just thought of something else you might like to play with...I made roses before out of soft bubble gum, the big square pieces that come in a pack of 5. Just kneaded it soft with a bit of shortening, rolled it out and then did it like a gumpaste rose. It didn't work to make very big ones but the kids really liked it. It never hardens but it's stiff enough to hold its shape.

redpanda Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:19am
post #11 of 12

Starburst and Tootsie Roll Midgies also make good roses. You just soften them for a few seconds in the microwave before rolling out thin and cutting with a petal cutter.

agentdorkfish Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:32pm
post #12 of 12

I never thought about using candies and stuff for roses. That's genius! And would be so much fun for kids and teens. Or the young at heart. I've decided that I'm going to just get some gumpaste. Maybe today. If I go to town. If I do, of course pictures will be up by tomorrow! icon_razz.gif

And thank you all! I don't know what I would do without all of you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%