Decorating Topsy Turvy Cake

Decorating By michele43069 Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 11:27pm by Rose_N_Crantz

michele43069 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michele43069 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:38am
post #1 of 7

I am planning my first topsy turvy cake. I have been checking out pictures to get some ideas. I have seen some cakes with these "wire" looking things poking out of the cakes holding shapes, numbers, etc. I'd like to incorporate these in my cake but I don't know what they are. Could someone please tell me what that is? Thanks so much!

6 replies
agentdorkfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agentdorkfish Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:24am
post #2 of 7

I've never tried it, and I could totally be wrong, so somebody please correct me if I'm telling something wrong. But you can buy craft wire to make jewelry. You could probably use that. Of course, don't stick the wire straight into the cake. You could probably cover the wire with royal icing or stick it in coffee straws before you stick it into the cake. Then again, that type wire might not be strong enough.

This will at least be a bump so one of the pros here will see it! icon_smile.gif

delectabledesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delectabledesserts Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 7

I've never made a topsy turvy cake before and would like to know how do you price these cakes. I will be making one soon. thanks

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 7

Yup, it's jewlery or florist wire. Base the gage on how thick of piece your going to put on it.

agentdorkfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agentdorkfish Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 7

Wow, I gave a correct answer? Hot dog! icon_smile.gif

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 7

I use 18 gauge. Either dip it in chocolate before inserting in cake, or wrap it in fondant, or best yet: poke a small sausage of fondant into a straw and stick it in that.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 7

You'll want to go with the coffee straws instead of dipping the wires. If you dip the wires, the stuff can break off into the cake and then it wouldn't be doing any good. I would use pipe some royal icing into both ends of the straw, then stab the wire through one side. The icing in the straw acts like glue to keep the wire in place, and the icing on the other end is just another precaution to keep the wire away from the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%