How To Do This Cake?

Decorating By jess142825 Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 2:44pm by sadsmile

jess142825 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess142825 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:33am
post #1 of 33

I was asked to do this cake and it's going to be my first one for someone I don't know. I'm a little nervous. I'm not sure what size the cakes are. I was thinking a 8" and 6". Should I do two 8" cakes on top of each other and 2 6" on top of each other. Or is it just one cake that's torted and filled. I just want it to be perfect since it's my first paid for cake. Any pointers would be very appreciated.
LL

32 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:40am
post #2 of 33

It looks like a 6 and a 10. You should find out how many servings your client needs and that will determine the size of the cakes. A 6 and a 10 would be 50 servings, if I'm right. I would definitely bake two layers for each to get the right height.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:51am
post #3 of 33

Agree with texas rose
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

jess142825 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 11:11am
post #4 of 33

Thanks! She didn't really care about the servings. She just wanted the cake to look like that. Do you think it would still look right with a 9 and a 6? I already have a 9" pan.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 11:26am
post #5 of 33

It also looks like it's three layer tiers

Molly

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 11:52am
post #6 of 33

I think a 6 inch and 9 inch would work. I also think it may be 3 layers on each tier...

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:44pm
post #7 of 33

Did she give you a budget for it? If she doesn't care about the servings, maybe budget ain't an issue either...GO BIG, BIG, BIG!

"Do you have a budget for this cake? I need something to go by to not only make this cake but also determine how much you pay for the cake."

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:39pm
post #8 of 33

I respectfully disagree with the 3 layers. I think they are just smaller cakes. My 6" 2 layer cakes always look "taller" so that I usuallu trim them a bit shorter to stay in proportion.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:43pm
post #9 of 33

I think they look like 8 and 4.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:00pm
post #11 of 33

I was going to say 8" & 5", 2 layers with filling...

teachingmyself Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teachingmyself Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:01pm
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingobaker

I respectfully disagree with the 3 layers. I think they are just smaller cakes. My 6" 2 layer cakes always look "taller" so that I usuallu trim them a bit shorter to stay in proportion.

Do you also torte the two layers to make them four or just fill between the two?

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:02pm
post #13 of 33

Also, thats a gumpaste bow. Be sure to make your loops several days in advance so that they have time to dry.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:22pm
post #14 of 33

Well - I think we all agree it's not a 6 and an 8! I think a 6 and 9 would would well though. But I can tell you from a halloween cake experience, that you are going to want a least a 3" ledge to put the pumpkins and the candy corn. You might even need the 4".

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:52pm
post #15 of 33

I am so sorry that this happened to you. But it sounds like you had everything well in hand to handle the situation! I would be embarrassed by the photog getting it in pics. But after a day or two you can look at them and laugh. It will be a great reminder having it in full blown color to hang on the fridge-lol! We all learn something, even in the most hideous ways, with cake. Everything takes practice and patience in this business. You have the patience part down pat!!! Good luck with the next one!

all4cake Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:55pm
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyascakes

I am so sorry that this happened to you. But it sounds like you had everything well in hand to handle the situation! I would be embarrassed by the photog getting it in pics. But after a day or two you can look at them and laugh. It will be a great reminder having it in full blown color to hang on the fridge-lol! We all learn something, even in the most hideous ways, with cake. Everything takes practice and patience in this business. You have the patience part down pat!!! Good luck with the next one!

huh?

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:15pm
post #17 of 33

hahaha!

jess142825 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:26pm
post #18 of 33

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm charging her $80 for the cake. She had gotten a price of $100 from another person, so I went cheaper since I haven't been doing cakes long and I really wanted to do it to get my name out there.

I think I'll do a 9 and a 6 with 2 layers. Now should I torte them to make it 4 layers or just leave it at 2? I was going to do the bow 50/50 gumpaste/fondant. Do you think that would make it sturdy enough?

jess142825 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:30pm
post #19 of 33
Quote:

Thanks so much! I had no idea where she found the picture. This helps bunches. icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:30pm
post #20 of 33

I split all my layers...I think it's what you or your customer prefers that is best. Yes, the 50/50 will be fine. WAIT! When is it due? If you have several days and the humidity ain't too bad, the 50/50 will do just fine.

jess142825 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:37pm
post #21 of 33

She needs it by Oct. 24th. I figured I'd do the bow that Tues., so it would have plenty of time to harden. Now that I've seen that the original cake was done with a 8 and a 5 I'm going to do it that size.

all4cake Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:48pm
post #22 of 33

dang....why wait? I'd do that bow now ...then again, it's been raining every day here for the last week....

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:22pm
post #23 of 33

Sorry, but the post I have here was meant for another post. I don't know how it landed here. I replied under the post about a wedding cake catastrophe and it ended up here. I am not sure what happened! Moderator, help!!!!

all4cake Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:15pm
post #24 of 33

lol

Mike_Elder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike_Elder Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 10:37pm
post #25 of 33

I'd guess that that cake is really small, like an 8 and 5 or six and 4, most people don't realize how small most cakes in magazines are, or that they aren't cake at all. The number of servings is how you decide how big it should be! It would definately be a double stack!! 50 servings would be roughly an 8 and 6, (just under) And don't try to copy it!! Do one like it! I flat refuse to copy anything but explain that that was someone elses cake!! Why would you want someone elses cake?? Most people are very happy to get a truely "custom" cake! I do my bows totally out of fondant, leave them to dry overnight and put them on when i get there, that way theres no settling but if it's moist there do em early, there's no such thing as too dry a bow!LOL
good luck

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 11:05pm
post #26 of 33

ditto ditto ditto! I have nothing new to add! I would torte all layers and create the bow asap. No reason to wait. Plus, it allows some time to do it again if for any reason it does not turn out the way you would have hoped.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 11:18pm
post #27 of 33

Make extra bow loops to allow for breakage.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 11:35pm
post #28 of 33

I would fill the cake how you normally fill your cakes. There's got to be a way that you typically do it for people. Especially if this is for someone you don't know. You don't want to try new things on strangers. Your friends will be a little more forgiving if something doesn't turn out quite right. Go with what you're comfortable with when doing an actual order (at least for the first few!).

all4cake Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:35am
post #29 of 33

I found it initially when I bing-ed(?) halloween cakes. clicked on the thumbnail and found cakesbyallison's blog. after thinking about it a bit, I thought I'd seen her on CC(haven't seen her in some time and thought maybe it was my imagination...kwim?) so, I looked through halloween cakes on CC and there it was...on like page 60 something(or close to it)....good thing I started at page 70 and worked my way back(checking the upload dates 'til I got close to the date Allison had it posted on her blog)

I'm glad it was helpful to you.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:59am
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess142825

I was asked to do this cake and it's going to be my first one for someone I don't know. I'm a little nervous. I'm not sure what size the cakes are. I was thinking a 8" and 6". Should I do two 8" cakes on top of each other and 2 6" on top of each other. Or is it just one cake that's torted and filled. I just want it to be perfect since it's my first paid for cake. Any pointers would be very appreciated.

I like the cake but to me the bow on top feels out of place.....a spider web would be more for my liking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%