Baking In A Mixing Bowl (Not Pyrex)

Decorating By MrsMabe Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 3:55am by MrsMabe

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 4

I would like to make a "racy" breast cancer awareness cake to send to work with my husband next week. Something with "domes" so to speak icon_wink.gif

Anyway, I don't have the sports ball pan and can't afford to buy one right now. I've read that you can bake in Pyrex mixing bowls. Would regular metal ones work? You know, the basic cheap kind everybody has. I've got one in the perfect size, but I'm afraid I'll blow up my oven or something lol.

If no, then any ideas for how to get a round cake without layering and carving? I'm guessing THAT's a no though lol.

3 replies
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:30am
post #2 of 4
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:41am
post #3 of 4

Sure, metal mixing bowls are fine to bake in. If it has a flat bottom you might want to stick a flower nail in there to help it bake better, otherwise don't worry about it.

Anyhow, the wilton sports ball pans are two little metal bowls and then a couple of rings to set on the oven shelf so they stand up...just like your mixing bowl, except that good ol' wilton didn't attach the rings to the bowls because that would have made too much sense.

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:55am
post #4 of 4

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%