Cricut On Sale At Hobby Lobby

Decorating By tigerhawk83 Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 3:11am by debster

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 20

Saw ad in the paper that all Cricut - machines, cartridges, supplies etc - are 30% off at Hobby Lobby this week.

I've been working with Inkscape and SCAL to make my own custom cookie stencils - can't wait to cut them out and see how they work!

19 replies
tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:24am
post #2 of 20

thanks for the info tigerhawk83 and Michaels also has cricut on sale check it out

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:27am
post #3 of 20

It's funny, I bought a Cricut Create at Goodwill this weekend for $35...just the machine, no blade assembly, no cartridge, no mats...and then I took it back because I went to see how much all the stuff I needed would be and it was going to be a lot. Now I wish I hadn't returned it.

tatorchip Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:30am
post #4 of 20

maybe it will still be there tomorrow

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:36am
post #5 of 20

LOL...the ladies behind me in line were fighting over it as I left.

I saw the Cricut Create for $184 at Walmart...figured that once I bought the things it needed including the cartridge, I would have spent that much. If I still have the urge for it when we get our tax refund, I will get it then icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:38am
post #6 of 20

I bought an Expression bundle today at BJs: $299.95+tax

http://shop.bjs.com/productName_stcVVproductId81912406VVviewprod.htm?productID=81912406&sc_cid=DF

Includes cutting machine, deep cut blade, 12" x 12" vinyl sheet, 12" x 12" stencil material, 12" x 12" transfer tape and 1 black marker

Best deal that I've found locally because it includes the deep cut blade (runs $29.99 alone).

I then went to Joann's and used my 50% off coupon to buy a double pack of the 12x24 mats for $9.00. You can use their coupons for Cricut accessories, but not machines or cartridges.

I'm looking forward to playing with it next week.

HTH
Rae

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:21am
post #7 of 20

I've seen these threads recently and am confused. Isn't this for scrapebooking? How are you using it for cake decorating?

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:36am
post #8 of 20

I would like to know as well. I hear cake people talking about it all the time and I am not sure how you use it for cakes. Do you cut a stencil out & trace it or what? Do you use it enough to pay for it? I am very interested.

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:48am
post #9 of 20

There is a wonderful video by Linda McClure, sold me on the idea. I saw some great deals on ebay for 250, you got the expression 2 cartiges, mat and tool kit. This is diffently the way to go. I was needing faster than I could buy on line, so I went and got mine at walmart. Spent probably 400.00 easily. I bought 2 of everything, one for paper one for food. But I did buy markers, those are 15.00 each and I bought 5 pkgs. I found a place that rents the cartiges, and it saved me. I did buy the ones I rented on ebay for about 35.00 each, much cheaper than the 60.00 at michaels and walmart. So if you are not impatient like me it is much better on ebay. Here is the link to the video.

http://www.creativedesignscakes.com/

tatorchip Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:43pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoudek

I've seen these threads recently and am confused. Isn't this for scrapebooking? How are you using it for cake decorating?

great for cutting fondant (just like paper as far as designs go) but you have to have your fondant just right (practice helps)

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:28pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I bought an Expression bundle today at BJs: $299.95+tax

http://shop.bjs.com/productName_stcVVproductId81912406VVviewprod.htm?productID=81912406&sc_cid=DF

Includes cutting machine, deep cut blade, 12" x 12" vinyl sheet, 12" x 12" stencil material, 12" x 12" transfer tape and 1 black marker

Best deal that I've found locally because it includes the deep cut blade (runs $29.99 alone).

I then went to Joann's and used my 50% off coupon to buy a double pack of the 12x24 mats for $9.00. You can use their coupons for Cricut accessories, but not machines or cartridges.

I'm looking forward to playing with it next week.

HTH
Rae

I got this same deal at BJ's week before last and it is such a great deal. I was surprised when I got home to see the one black marker was actually a pack of markers. When I opened mine the mat was creased due to bad packaging and I called the company and they are sending me a set of mats. WooHoo. But I too was thrilled with the bonus deep cut blade since I am using it mainly for cakes. I got burned a little over a month ago on Ebay. Not terrible burned but won a new Expression for $152.00 the person never sent it. Luckily paypal resolved in my favor and I got my money back but I wanted my daggone machine! In the meantime missed an awesome deal on craigslist waiting for my money to be credited back to my account. I was sad thinking I am not meant to get a deal on this. Then my mom saw it at Bj's and took me the next day and bought it for me. icon_lol.gif I have the best Mommy! I love this thing and can't stop playing with it. Now my mom went and bought herself one because it is so neat! I would tell anyone to save up and buy one it is worth every penny! I have SCAL too so that makes a world of difference.

khoudek Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 3:27am
post #12 of 20

Can you make your own design? I thought these had premade designs in some sort of cartridge thing.

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 3:42am
post #13 of 20

Does anyone know if you can use the Making Memories 'Slice' for gumpaste/fondant like you can with the cricut? Thanks

tatorchip Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:01am
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoudek

Can you make your own design? I thought these had premade designs in some sort of cartridge thing.

I have the cartridge yes the ones that came with my cricut, but I also get designs off the web and change them to svg files and then can cut with cricut and if you can do designs on your pc then change to svg file then you can cut with cricut. I have the sure-cuts-alot program and the cricut design studio which I only downloaded the trial version of the design studio and that is how I change to svg file HTH

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:02pm
post #15 of 20

I'm going to use mine to cut my own cookie and cake stencils. Already have images ready in Sure Cuts a Lot (SCAL) software and just need to start cutting icon_biggrin.gif

tatorchip Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:20pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhawk83

I'm going to use mine to cut my own cookie and cake stencils. Already have images ready in Sure Cuts a Lot (SCAL) software and just need to start cutting icon_biggrin.gif

great, let us see pictures of them

khoudek Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 1:02am
post #17 of 20

What is an svg file? Is it part of the Cricut? Sounds as if the Cricut needs the computer or is like a computer? This sound complicated to a computer illiterate like me.

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:44am
post #18 of 20

The cricut itself runs on cartridges that have a font and some images on them. The cartridges are pricey running around 70-80 dollars (cheaper on ebay or at craft stores on sale) SCAL (Sure Cuts A Lot) is a computer program you can purchase to use with the cricut. I got in on Ebay for $74.95. It eliminates the need for cartridges (although you need one cartridge in the cricut for it to power on). With SCAL you import svg. files and 'design' things so to speak in there and can cut from there. You can download thousands of free fonts and images to cut with it. You can take any image and transform it in Inkscape ( a free downloadable program) into an svg file to be then cut in SCAL. I know this sounds confusing because I too was extremely new to all these programs but there are an unbelievable amount of tutorials and support on you tube and through craftedge . com (who puts out SCAL) It is surprisingly easy. In less than a week of getting these products and downloading them I had transformed a football logo and cut it out in layers it was amazing. But nonetheless the Cricut does not need a computer and you can buy the cartridges if you would like.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:58am
post #19 of 20

I just bought my Cricut Expression , got it thru HSN (4 monthly payment) I was really surprised how much stuff came with it. 4 cartridges, shuttle, design pro(computer connection)etc.. Now I've jumped in and don't know what to do with all this. Think I overwhelmed. But I did install the Design Pro, I think that is the name of it. I'd love to see pictures of what you can do with this.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:11am
post #20 of 20

I have the cricut from scrapbooking and bought the SCAL and come on that's beyond me I can't get it figured out for nothing and I bought the fonts and images. Talk about illiterate and BROKE..............heheheheheh No really I figured 117.00 for all that as apposed to 89.00 per catridge is way cheaper , the cheapest I've got some catridges for was 39.00

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%