Cake Decorating Birthday Party Idea...need Some Help!

Decorating By gr8cakemaker Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 1:46am by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

gr8cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8cakemaker Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 9

Im not sure if any one has heard of this or is doing this but I wanted you'alls opinion. I thought about this when my mother purchased a portable 36 cupcake carrier and what exactly I was going to do with it. I thought about advertising through my website to host "cupcake parties". I would make jumbo cupcakes for the number of children attending the party and make 2 or 3 icing colors per child to decorate with. I also thought about getting childrens' sized aprons with my logo printed on them so they will not get their clothing stained. I would teach them a few simple borders and flowers, then let them decorate their own cupcake, let them eat, clean up and leave. I would charge per child but just not sure of how much to charge. Any comments or suggestions? I am a licensed home baker so I wouldnt be able to host them in my home. All of the decorating would take approx. an hour or so. Any comments on what I should charge? How to go about doing this? Good idea? Bad idea? Any comments would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!

8 replies
gr8cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8cakemaker Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 9

anyone???

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 10:29pm
post #3 of 9

I've held cake decorating parties just like this. Instead of cupcakes I took buttercream 6" cakes. I had prepared bags for all the ladies and then an assortment of tips I taught them to use. They all enjoyed it. I had this offered on my website for over a year and never once had interest in a child's party, though. (One bridal shower, and 2 neighborhood girls' night). I also had waist aprons (made by my mom) with my logo ironed on the pocket. Making cupcakes might be a bit easier. For all the time it took to prepare, travel there, demo, clean-up, etc. I don't think it was worth it... Feel free to PM me if you want any other details...

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 9

I don't know how you'd price it, but it sounds like a GREAT idea!!

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 9

I don't know how much parents pay for parties by you but they will
pay out the nose around here. Not saying you would be ripping them off but I would suggest pricing some other options and be competitive. See if it would be worth your time. If you are offering to have it at their house
I think that would be a great benefit for you and them. They can continue with the party after you have finished and left.....on time. Let us know what you decide. I think it is a great idea. Maybe when my kids are a little bit older I could try it too.

arrianna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arrianna Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:02am
post #6 of 9

If I wasn't already trying to teach my daughter, I would sign up for something like that. There are a lot of people out there that love to have princess birthday parties for their kids, or pampered parties with pedicures and such. They also have parties held at hair salons. So I say why not. I think that it is a great idea. My daughter is 7 and is so excited about learing cakes with me and I know there are a lot more out there that feel the same. I think that depending on how much you charge that whatever they are given to use (disposable bag, 3 tips, apron, spatula etc) would be great as there parting gifts. . Maybe you could also send a one page description of a few different piping techniques that they could take home as well. Anyhow, it sounds like so much fun. I hope it works out for you.

arrianna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arrianna Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:02am
post #7 of 9

If I wasn't already trying to teach my daughter, I would sign up for something like that. There are a lot of people out there that love to have princess birthday parties for their kids, or pampered parties with pedicures and such. They also have parties held at hair salons. So I say why not. I think that it is a great idea. My daughter is 7 and is so excited about learing cakes with me and I know there are a lot more out there that feel the same. I think that depending on how much you charge that whatever they are given to use (disposable bag, 3 tips, apron, spatula etc) would be great as there parting gifts. . Maybe you could also send a one page description of a few different piping techniques that they could take home as well. Anyhow, it sounds like so much fun. I hope it works out for you.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:16am
post #8 of 9

I think it sounds like a great idea, but in my area people would not want to pay what it was worth. Our area has been hit hard with the economy (12% unemployment). Most people think walmart cakes are priced to high. So they think it's outrageous to pay $1.00 per serving for cake and $1.00 per cupcake. I don't think it would go well here for the instructor, because the client would want to pay nothing for your time.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:46am
post #9 of 9

There's a whole other thread about this elsewhere.

Here's the link: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654935.html

Lots of helpful info there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%