Help! 10X Powedered Sugar With Cornstarch!?!?!

Decorating By onlymadaresane Updated 11 Oct 2009 , 8:34pm by Doug

onlymadaresane  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 3

I went to Costco and bought a 50lb bag of 10x powdered sugar yesterday. I go to use it today and notice it says 10x powdered sugar with cornstarch!!!!

Do I have to return it or is it a big deal? I have NO idea how much is in there...but I imagine that can't be good???

Where do you buy your bulk powdered sugar then??? I've got a costco and a sams- but I'm lost and MAD at this!!

Thanks!

2 replies
 onlymadaresane  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 3

Okay. After some research it seems that all powdered sugar has cornstarch in it unless you specifically hunt for super gourmet powdered sugar..

Doug  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 3

yes, it IS a good thing.

the corn starch is there to prevent clumping -- it helps absorb excess moisture (just like when you use cornstarch based baby powder)

there is only a little bit in there --- just enough to keep things soft and silky just like a baby's bottom!

----

now it scientific terms: the cornstarch like sugar, is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water. In this case it is being used as a desiccant to suck the moisture away from the sugar and keep it from absorbing water as a result becoming a hard, sticky mass.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%