Help! 10X Powedered Sugar With Cornstarch!?!?!

Decorating By onlymadaresane Updated 11 Oct 2009 , 8:34pm by Doug

onlymadaresane Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 3

I went to Costco and bought a 50lb bag of 10x powdered sugar yesterday. I go to use it today and notice it says 10x powdered sugar with cornstarch!!!!

Do I have to return it or is it a big deal? I have NO idea how much is in there...but I imagine that can't be good???

Where do you buy your bulk powdered sugar then??? I've got a costco and a sams- but I'm lost and MAD at this!!

2 replies
onlymadaresane Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 3

Okay. After some research it seems that all powdered sugar has cornstarch in it unless you specifically hunt for super gourmet powdered sugar..

Doug Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 3

yes, it IS a good thing.

the corn starch is there to prevent clumping -- it helps absorb excess moisture (just like when you use cornstarch based baby powder)

there is only a little bit in there --- just enough to keep things soft and silky just like a baby's bottom!

now it scientific terms: the cornstarch like sugar, is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water. In this case it is being used as a desiccant to suck the moisture away from the sugar and keep it from absorbing water as a result becoming a hard, sticky mass.

Quote by @%username% on %date%