Styrofoam Or Cake For Pumpkins?

Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 2:47pm by OregonCakeLady

CakeMommyTX Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 11

This is the rough draft for a Halloween cake I want to do, but I'm stumped on the pumpkins...should I do them in cake or styrofoam?

The amount of servings is'nt important so I don't have to do them in cake but I'm curious if they can be done in cake?

I'm also at a loss at what to add to the cake, it seems plain to me?
I think I will only do stripes on one tier and add some patterns to the other two.
I want to stick with the stiched fabric look though, but it needs something?

It's for a Halloween themed 18th birthday,I have complete design control because it's a gift, and I really want to go over the top.
LL

10 replies
CakeMommyTX Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 11

the "or" is supposed to be "for", I can't type today

Rylan Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 11

If I were you, I'd do them in cake. Hmm, I'm thinking of bunt pans but I'm not sure how that would look.

Awesome sketch btw.

BCo Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 11

I would add some fondant/gumpaste bats on wires coming from the tiers or the top of the cake....just to give it some dimension???

CakeMommyTX Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:16am
post #5 of 11

I really want to do them in cake, mostly as a practice run for this cake, which I'm hoping can be 100% cake.

Just did'nt know if it would collapse or not?

I would have to transport it stacked because it's a surprise, so I'm already nervous!

Ok thanx for the input I think I'll attempt cake but keep some foam balls on hand just in case.

Should I add some black gumpaste flowers?
Something big like gerbera daisies?
LL

dandelion Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:29am
post #6 of 11

I saw a Bundt pan set at Target the other day. 2 identical pans placed together and advertised as a Pumpkin Kit. Seems like it should work... especially for the top one since it won't have to bear any weight.

BTW, LOVE the design with the big, bold flowers on the square cakes!

aquamom Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:40am
post #7 of 11

Hi,

I used the bundt Pans from Target on a practice cake. I'll try and download the pix tonight.
I LOVED the results. Each pan holds half of a cakie mix. I had so much fun with that cake and I got rave reviews.

crumbcake Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:49am
post #8 of 11

I like your second idea, with the flowers, but in keeping with the holloween theme, I would like somethink other than flowers. Maybe the bats and witch hats etc. I think Target has the pumpking cake pan which would really put it over the top! Good Luck

Rylan Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:08am
post #9 of 11

Omg. I love the second idea. Very original.

aquamom Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:52pm
post #10 of 11

Hi,

So I posted my pic of the pumpkin cake. It's under my photos. Hmmm seemed like the cake looked a lot cuter in person--hee hee. Any way, I loved creating this cake. When I do this the next 'm going to use yellow icing and then do another layer of orange.

Inside is Valle_Wars caramel cake with choc ganche filling. It went over really well and I was told it wasn't too sweet. Indydebi's icing as usual.

I also plan on using a larger bundt pan and making two cakes for the pumpkin next time. I volunteer for a couple nonprofits and cake is always appreciated.

OregonCakeLady Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:47pm
post #11 of 11

I would make them out of cake. Personally I would feel like I had to learn a new art carving Styrofoam. Cute cake..... I like the second one. It could be a funky wedding cake design

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%