Is Anyone Else Feeling Like This?

Business By costumeczar Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 1:52am by SugarFrosted

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 16

Is it just me, or has the last month or so been totally crazy? I'm starting to feel like I haven't left the kitchen for ten minutes a day. Then when I do, I'm either doing paperwork or other business-related stuff. I know it's "a good problem to have" but I also want to kill myself, so maybe it's not.

I know that the fall has been busier for weddings in the last few years, but has anyone else been feeling like there's more than usual going on lately?

15 replies
Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 16

I'm sorry!! You sound like you're getting pretty burned out. A few months back I started to feel like it was "all cake, all the time" for me. I decided to designate a specific time to do paperwork, and some days to have off. Because I can work from home (yes, legally), I really had to discipline myself into not doing any cake stuff on my day off because it's there looking at me all the time. That helped. Otherwise, I don't have any good advice for you. Can you afford to take fewer cakes even for a week and give yourself a break to go do something really fun? I know that's hard when you're a business owner.

Unfortunately, since this is my first year in biz, I only have five cakes scheduled this month. I'd love to be busier.

costumeczar Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 16

I just got a call from someone looking for a cake for next week, and she said that everyone she's spoken to has told her that it's a really busy wedding season here this year, so maybe it's not just me.

Ironically, I'm super busy, but I keep worrying that I'm not booking enough business! What is it that makes us think like that? I blame it on hormones. Maybe I should just go eat some chocolate (Like I need an excuse for that!)

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 16

i've decided that i'm gonna turn down more orders and take it easier for awhile...they have been running me ragged.

i can get by on less money that i've been making , so i'm gonna rest awhile, try to enjoy life, cake decorating can actually be fun if you aren't constantly under the gun.

i think at my age, i'm gonna not have the "take over the world" mentality anymore.

i've been doing over 20 cakes every sat for such a long time, last week i did 10 on friday and 10 on saturday....no drawings on any of them...it was so nice.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 16

I really want to know what makes you feel like that. You get booked so far in advance, that if someone wants you they better call you a year out. Maybe it's time for a vacation. Maybe just take 2 weekends off.

On another topic, what the heck possesed someone to look for a wedding cake a week out?! icon_confused.gif

hjustesen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hjustesen Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 16

People are crazy! (Not you people, the customers). My sister got an email from someone who wanted a cake in four hours. I can't remember what design they had picked off of her website, but it was somewhat moe time consuming than some kids cakes. She said she could do two other designs, but the cake was $10 more for the short notice and the money had to be in her Paypal account in 15 minutes.

She didn't feel bad at all when they didn't pay up. lol

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 10:33pm
post #7 of 16

Oh silly me, I thought we were in a recession. Glad to know not everyone buys into that baloney! Chin up girl, and count that money!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 10:55pm
post #8 of 16

I'm noticing a lot more last minute orders. booked one this week for next month. I sent her my intro email when she first inquired back in February. I think brides are waiting longer before they book "....to see how the job holds out"; "to see how much money we have", etc.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 11:05pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'm noticing a lot more last minute orders. booked one this week for next month. I sent her my intro email when she first inquired back in February. I think brides are waiting longer before they book "....to see how the job holds out"; "to see how much money we have", etc.

That is very true. I never thought about thats why they are so last minute. I work more within the Latin Community and there attitude is (for the most part, not always) this is what we're going to do and we'll work out the cost some how. Everyone else is refferals so for the most part they know how I work and my policies ahead of time.

teachingmyself Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teachingmyself Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 11:21pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Do you think it could also be from all the TV shows? I've watched a lot of episodes where they do last minute orders and miraculously they get done and they are also very detailed cakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 11:34pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachingmyself

Do you think it could also be from all the TV shows? I've watched a lot of episodes where they do last minute orders and miraculously they get done and they are also very detailed cakes.

I'm not seeing that aspect. My last minute brides come in with checkbook in hand ready to book. I prefer the take a few days to think it over but I've had quite a few lately pull the "no, I'm ready right now." So that leads me to belive it's more of a "wait until I get the money in hand" thing.

So I tell them, "Ok, if you're going to twist my arm and MAKE me take the money early, I guess I can!" icon_lol.gif

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:40am
post #12 of 16

I know that this week and last were my "pulling my hair out" weekends. I know a few months back that these two weeks were gonna be nuts. I just had two really big and extremely intricate orders that were weighing heavily on my mind.

Last night, after I delivered my last cake, I came home, fixed myself a drink and enjoyed a little piece of mind for a change. I actually slept good (or is it well? )last night.

so no, you're not alone. I still have 3 weddings next weekend and 4 the weekend after (not counting occasion cakes), but they are all a little easier.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:52am
post #13 of 16

I know that this week and last were my "pulling my hair out" weekends. I know a few months back that these two weeks were gonna be nuts. I just had two really big and extremely intricate orders that were weighing heavily on my mind.

Last night, after I delivered my last cake, I came home, fixed myself a drink and enjoyed a little piece of mind for a change. I actually slept good (or is it well? )last night.

so no, you're not alone. I still have 3 weddings next weekend and 4 the weekend after (not counting occasion cakes), but they are all a little easier.

costumeczar Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:58am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I really want to know what makes you feel like that. You get booked so far in advance, that if someone wants you they better call you a year out. Maybe it's time for a vacation. Maybe just take 2 weekends off.

On another topic, what the heck possesed someone to look for a wedding cake a week out?! icon_confused.gif

She wasn't actually looking for a wedding cake, it was a "very small cake, two tiers, something simple for only 8-10 people." Ha ha ha! I think it was for a birthday party or something. I couldn't do it anyway.

I think that if you own a business you just naturally feel like you always have to worry about booking cakes, I know that I book up way ahead of time, but I never feel like I can stop thinking about booking future business. The nature of the beast, I guess. It just starts to stress me out after a while.

I remember that I tend to start feeling stressed out this time each year, though, and then I get disgusted and just block out the end of the year and say I'm not booking any more cakes at all until January. Then everything slows down anyway because of the holidays, and I start worrying that I won't book enough business for the following year, but then the Christmas engagement brides start coming out of the woodwork in January, and the cycle begins again...

It's definitely chocolate time! And Mad Men is on tonight, so I have Don Draper, er, I mean the show, to look forward to! icon_wink.gif

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:35am
post #15 of 16

I too was wondering what was in the water! I got 5-6 inquiries on wedding orders in the past two weeks or so and all of them were for Oct or Nov of this year! One is booking without a tasting and was willing to send me a check without a contract. However, another one is being a pain and expects me to drop everything to schedule a tasting for her Nov 7th wedding. I offered a "to-go" tasting, but she can't even read and respond to an email appropriately, so she missed out...

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:52am
post #16 of 16

For many years, I have averaged about 20 cakes per month. However, in the past 6 months, I have done only 1-4 cakes per month. It feels strange after being so busy, but I am enjoying the break.

My husband and I believe the decrease is because the economy. Fortunately, cake money is not essential for making ends meet for us, only pocket money for me. So I will enjoy the break while it lasts, and I'll prolly complain when I get busy again. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%