Square Cakes - What Is So Scary About Those Devils???

Decorating By Peridot Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 5:06am by sugarMomma

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 16

I am going to bake a square cake today - just for practice. But I get the feeling from reading some of the posts on this site that square cakes can be a problem.

I am assuming it is not the baking but the decorating that causes the challenge! Can anyone please enlighten me on what is the main culprit when doing a square cake.

I do have SugarShacks' DVD where she shows doing fondant and BC on a square cake - gee she makes it look so darn easy!!!

AND I EVEN BOUGHT MYSELF MAGIC LINES PANS!!!!!

15 replies
Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 16

I personally think as long as you follow her technique, you are good to go, that is what I did, when I did the square cake in my photo, and I had no problems.

whit6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whit6 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 16

I have no problem covering square cakes in fondant, its when it is just a plain buttercream cake that it is actually harder for me. I find it harder to ice a clean line at the corners than when doing a round cake you just keep going around and you dont have to worry about smooth corners, just one smooth edge at the top.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 16

I actually prefer doing square bc-iced cakes. A round cake has to be smoothed all the way around. A square cake has to be smoothed one side at a time! icon_biggrin.gif

I counted up one time and out of 19 consecutive cakes, 15 were square. I LOVE doing square cakes!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 16

I think the corners are SO hard. Whenever brides say they want square, I smile sweetly, say "Oh, s**t" to myself, and say "Okay, they're so beautiful, aren't they?!"

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:41am
post #6 of 16

I find square cakes easier too - fondant or BC. With fondant, I start with the corners, as does Sugarshack in her videos. I think some people struggle with them because they can't always get sharp corners with fondant, in particular.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:55am
post #7 of 16

I think it is a matter of what you believe. You believe it will be hard, you will find it so. Believe you can, and it will be a breeze.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:59am
post #8 of 16

I was also hesitant to do square cakes - thought they'd be too much trouble but then for a wedding I HAD to get a square set (bride was insistent on square) I find them to be a pleasure to work with now although yes - if I was trying for sharp perfect corners (esp to match a dummy cake underneath) I'd totally stress out - haven't had to make a dummy yet though...

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:02am
post #9 of 16

I have a square cake to do in Nov & am already stressing about those 12 corners (it's a 3 tier cake!!), The grooms cake is hexagonal & for some reason not as scary icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:03am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

I think it is a matter of what you believe. You believe it will be hard, you will find it so. Believe you can, and it will be a breeze.

"If you believe you can or can't do something .... you're right!" (I think it was said by Henry Ford ... not sure)

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:17am
post #11 of 16

There is also a good video on youtube on how to fondant a square cake. The woman sounds Irish or Scottish, not that that has anything to do with it. LOL. She does a fantastic job, and she makes it look so easy.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:50am
post #12 of 16

And use two fondant smoothers at the same time. This helps incredibly. And applying the fondant to a well chilled cake as well. Helps me anyways.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:09am
post #13 of 16

I don't know either......I hope I never find out what is suppose to be difficult. So far I have no issues using butter cream or fondant icon_smile.gif maybe dumb luck

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:42am
post #14 of 16

Getting the edges and corners perfectly straight and sharp with BC is what I hate about square cakes. Covering in fondant is easy after watching Sugarshack do it. Isn't she the one with the accent in the You-Tube video?

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:00am
post #15 of 16

no thats edna

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:06am
post #16 of 16

oh that's right, oops, sorry tonedna! I knew it was someone talented on here!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%