Tell Me What You Know About Disco Dust!

Decorating By Horselady Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 6:15pm by diane706

Horselady Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 20

hey, thinking of ordering some to add something extra to a cake, but i didn't know if I'm better off to stick with luster dust, or how to use disko dust.

TIA

19 replies
diane706 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 20

Luster dust is either applied by brushing on by itself or mixing with vodka or lemon juice and painting it on. Disco dust just gets sprinkled on. I use the holographic Disco dust on many of my cakes (especially children's or winter themed cakes) . Love the look! HTH!

sadsmile Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 20

Luster dust is shimmery/iridescent dust much like a powdered eye shadow the disco dust is actual flake glitter and it is just as pictured. I love that stuff. Super sparkly!

crazydoglady Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 20

it looks more glittery than glitter. i love it!

Horselady Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 20

So the only way to apply it is to sprinkle it on? How do you make it stick?

Is it suitable for an adult birthday cake to add zing? (60 year old man's cake)

grandmom Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 20

I used it for the first time on a spider cake, a picture of which I just uploaded. I sprinkled the disco dust on a gumpaste spider, still damp from painting it with a petal dust/vodka mixture. It does flake off some, as you can see on the white BC cake! Very sparkly stuff.

crazydoglady Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 20

you could make it stick in much the same way as you would regular glitter. you pipe out the lines with piping gel, then sprinkle on the disco dust and shake off the excess. or you could sprinkle it on anything that is sticky.
think of glittering anything only you are using edible materials.
it is suitable on anything where glitter works with the theme of a cake.
if you wanted to write "happy birthday" i think it iswould be a great touch!
i love glitter so the sky is the limit.
hth

crazydoglady Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 20

grandmom - that is the best spider cake ever! i added it to my favorites!

sara91 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:51pm
post #9 of 20

Disco Dust is NOT edible! I don't know why you would put non edible items of food to be consumed especially childrens cakes. If it is edible yes, then go for it. Of course it is pretty and sparkly, that does not mean we should feed it to kids who trust us to give them what is best. icon_sad.gif

'Non-toxic. Made in the USA *Please note that these dusts are not a food product and should not be considered as such.'

crazydoglady Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:04pm
post #10 of 20

of course, i doubt that any of us would offer poison to a child or an adult.

kickasscakes Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:15pm
post #11 of 20

NOT EDIBLE??????????????

sara91 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:41pm
post #12 of 20

So it is pretty and shiny and not poisonous, so then it should be fine to use right?

Nevermind the fact that is not a food product.

The whole point of food is that it is edible.

grandmom Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:47pm
post #13 of 20

Thanks, crazydoglady! I had a lot of fun making it. Except I stink at BC!

diane706 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:19pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara91

Disco Dust is NOT edible! I don't know why you would put non edible items of food to be consumed especially childrens cakes. If it is edible yes, then go for it. Of course it is pretty and sparkly, that does not mean we should feed it to kids who trust us to give them what is best. icon_sad.gif

'Non-toxic. Made in the USA *Please note that these dusts are not a food product and should not be considered as such.'

I'm not sure where you're quote came from but my supplier's explanation of Disco Dust says nothing of the sort. Absolutely no mention of it not being edible.

crazydoglady Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:34pm
post #15 of 20

diane - you mentioned holographic disco dust. is it different than pixie/disco dust?

diane706 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:18pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydoglady

diane - you mentioned holographic disco dust. is it different than pixie/disco dust?

This is a quote from the supplier I use:
"Twinkle Dust, Disco Dust and Pixie Dust are all basically the same product."
I'm not sure if this answers your question though..

crazydoglady Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:06pm
post #17 of 20

diane, i was wondering if "holographic" added dimension or if it had the very same appearance as pixie dust.
btw - your cakes are amazing!

diane706 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:27pm
post #18 of 20

Why, Thank you for that nice compliment! To answer your question, I really don't know because I've never used Pixie Dust. Sorry! icon_rolleyes.gif Also, referring back to my original answer to the OP, "holographic" is an adjective that I used to describe the product which I use. I'm not going to give the actual name of the product since this thread got a little ummm... well, you know, heated... I wouldn't do that to this very reputable company!

Loucinda Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:51pm
post #19 of 20

I have tons of the different kinds (pixie, disco etc.) holographic just means that it has the appearance of more than one color - that is my take on it.

diane706 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 6:15pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I have tons of the different kinds (pixie, disco etc.) holographic just means that it has the appearance of more than one color - that is my take on it.

Yep, the one I use is just white (or clear) with all different colors that sparkle in it (kind of like when a blanket of snow is wet and the sun shines on it and and you can see colors sparkling off of it.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%