My Excitement For The Day

Decorating By momsandraven Updated 25 Aug 2005 , 9:25pm by Cady

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 23

This is so exciting!! icon_lol.gif My Mom works in an office of about 50 people, almost all women. She told me that she wanted to pay me to make a cake to bring in to work to help me spread the word about my cakes. I could choose any theme and flavors I wanted for the cake to 'showcase' myself. I decided to go with something birthday/shower looking, since that is probably what most people are looking for when they want a cake. I've attached a pic of the cake, I took it in at 9 am this morning. My mom called me at 9:50 and said that the whole office was raving about the cake and that the 10" round layer was already gone and the 12" layer was cut into also! I had left a bunch of flyers with a price list and info on it, and they ran out and had to make photocopies. I feel like my little cake hobby is about to take off, and I'm so psyched!!!
LL

22 replies
gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 23

congratulations!!! That is so cool. I am a full time student so for the next 2 years or so I will not be able to do much cake making except during christmas and summer breaks. I wish I could get in with a place like that though. If I could do 1 or 2 a month and do them on the weekends, I could at least get in some practice.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 23

Oh wow!! it's just beautiful.. what a great job you did .. I hope you get many, many orders!!!

scoobam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobam Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 23

What a great cake!! I love the sides!!!!

I bet your phone will be ringing a lot very soon!! icon_biggrin.gif

cybourg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cybourg Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 23

Beautiful cake!! I bet you will be getting lots of orders.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 23

Gorgeous cake! Good luck to you!

Debbi

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 7:04pm
post #7 of 23

Wow kiddo, with a wonderful cake like that, I am not surprised! Spendid, perfect, adorable, what a great cake! Good for you! Bet they were just amazed and bet your mom was super proud!
Hugs Squirrelly

momsandraven Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 23

Thanks everyone! icon_smile.gif It looks like my first order is due Monday! The lady said she wanted to check which cake flavor her Mom wanted for her b-day cake and she'd give me a call tonight!
I have to tell you all, my Mom gets a serious thumbs up! No matter what I have ventured in to, she is always there with loads of support. She is the best!!

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 8:48pm
post #9 of 23

That is just wonderful!!! Congrats to you! Your cake is great and it is no wonder you are already getting orders!!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 8:54pm
post #10 of 23

What a beautiful cake!! I'm so happy you got all those orders!! I wish you much success!!!!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 8:59pm
post #11 of 23

Congrats!!
Wishing you continued success.
Your cake is beautiful.

Lemondrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemondrop Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 8:59pm
post #12 of 23

Good for you!!! It's a beautiful cake!! I'm glad it paid off for you!!

Mjmil7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mjmil7 Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 8:59pm
post #13 of 23

Congratulations on your cake and future orders! It's a beautiful cake. I've sent in cakes with my husband trying to drum up some business at his work. He calls me and tells me that everyone loves the look and taste of my cakes, but I've only had one order from them. I guess I've spoiled them by sending in too many cakes so instead of buying one, they'll just wait until I send in another one. It doesn't help much that my husband works with mostly men and there's only a couple of ladies. I'm thinking about having a "Let's Eat Cake" tasting party at my home and inviting my husband's co-workers and wives. Hopefully once the wives know that I'm trying to get a business going, they'll order from me.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 9:11pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjmil7

Congratulations on your cake and future orders! It's a beautiful cake. I've sent in cakes with my husband trying to drum up some business at his work. He calls me and tells me that everyone loves the look and taste of my cakes, but I've only had one order from them. I guess I've spoiled them by sending in too many cakes so instead of buying one, they'll just wait until I send in another one. It doesn't help much that my husband works with mostly men and there's only a couple of ladies. I'm thinking about having a "Let's Eat Cake" tasting party at my home and inviting my husband's co-workers and wives. Hopefully once the wives know that I'm trying to get a business going, they'll order from me.

Actually, that is an excellent idea and you are right, haha, the men will eat the cakes but not think to order, their wives and girlfriends will gvie you business. Hope it works out well for you!
Hugs Squirrelly

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 9:18pm
post #15 of 23

Was that a BCT fairy or did you free-hand it or what? What about the sides?

I am SO totally putting this into my favorites!! LOVE it!!

Lisa

jenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenie Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 9:28pm
post #16 of 23

Congratulations that is indeed a beautiful cake! I've seen your cake photos and they are great! I'm sure you will have more orders to come.
One question on butterflies and flowers on side of the cake, Are they buttercream transfer?

Jen icon_smile.gif

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 10:34pm
post #17 of 23

Congratulations! The cake is beautiful! thumbs_up.gif
traci

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 11:49pm
post #18 of 23

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif WOW Momsandraven!!!!!~~~~~~

~*~What an AWESOME CAKE!!!!!~*~

*~*~I just LOVEEEEE ITTTTTTt.. and you Should be so proud!

icon_smile.gif You do Wonderful work.. icon_lol.gif

~Sweet~ icon_rolleyes.gif

becca0926 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becca0926 Posted 25 Aug 2005 , 12:55am
post #19 of 23

BEAUUUUTIFUL cake.If we could all be so lucky.I would like to know more on how you did the cake also.

momsandraven Posted 25 Aug 2005 , 2:10am
post #20 of 23

Here's the details on how I decorated the cake:
The fairy on top: I used the method previously discussed on this board, where you print out your image and then poke holes in your paper along the outline. Let your BC crust and press the image on- all of the little bumps from the pinholes make an outline and you trace over it with frosting. I have to say, I normally would've done a BCT, and decided to give this a try. I am going back to BCTs, I didn't care for this, it was too hard for me to see the design. The fairy also has some of the spray color (I'm asking for an airbrush for Christmas!) on her wings, and then sparkle dust.

The sides: The first thing I did was cut out a cloud 'stencil' out of parchment paper. Nothing fancy, just some uneven bumps. I pinned the stencil in place with some toothpicks, and sprayed the blue color on lightly. It's important to always start and stop on the parchment paper to avoid any dark spots of color. I moved the stencil around randomly on the sides and repeated til I was happy with the look. The butterflies and dragonflies are all freehand, done with thin bc and nothing bigger than a #3 tip directly onto the sides. Then I went back and traced the tops of the clouds with white frosting and a #18 star tip.

The flowers and grass below: I started by spraying on just a touch of green color along the bottom edge. Then a touch of blue along the top edge. The flowers/grass & ladybugs are all freehanded on the sides. A few of them are more 3D than others.

Thank you all so much for your kind comments! I am really floating on Cloud Nine today!!

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 25 Aug 2005 , 7:39am
post #21 of 23

Moms...that is AWESOME!! And your cake is gorgeous!

crouton800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crouton800 Posted 25 Aug 2005 , 10:20am
post #22 of 23

I'm really happy for you! With such a terrific cake, there's bound to be more orders! icon_biggrin.gif

Your mom sounds so sweet to support you in this way! wishing you all the best!

Cady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cady Posted 25 Aug 2005 , 9:25pm
post #23 of 23

Very cool!! I looked at your cakes they are all wonderful!!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%