Newbie Question -- Buttercream On Fondant

Decorating By wyovol Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 12:27am by wyovol

wyovol Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 4

Hi! I'm new to cake decorating. I made my son's birthday cakes for the past three years but only used a character pan and buttercream icing. Basically, I just covered the cakes with different sized stars. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm ready to try something new. So for my daughter's first birthday I'm going to use MMF and make a small stacked cake. I'm ready for a new challenge.

Here is my newbie (probably dumb) question. Can I pipe buttercream on the MMF to make a few flowers? Or will it not stick? I'm not talking about roses, just the outlines of flowers lying flat on the cake.

TIA. I've been lurking here at CC for about 3 weeks getting ideas and inspiration. And a few recipes. icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Caths_Cakes Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 4

I think, youd be better off using royal icing, this works fantastic on fondant, i have a feeling the grease in the buttercream may break down the fondant. You can pipe it the same as buttercream icon_smile.gif

sugarMomma Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 4

You can use buttercream to pipe on fondant, definitely, I have done it. Royal icing is great too, and more forgiving because if you make a mistake you can just scrape it off after it dries.

Good luck and have fun!!

wyovol Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:27am
post #4 of 4

Thank you! Royal Icing doesn't look too hard to make, so maybe I'll give that a whirl this time, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%