I Need Help-Not Sure I Can Do This

Decorating By creatingcakes Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 8:55pm by BakingGirl

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:50pm
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennwolfe

Well, I heard back from her, she 'knows another baker the is very experienced with cream cheese icing and has done several similar designs' .

"Great! I'm happy to hear that you found someone who can do this design for you in the cream cheese you are wanting! Thanks for checking with us!"

Sincerely Yours,

the baker is who glad to be off the hook for this cake!

creatingcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creatingcakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:53pm
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Well, I heard back from her, she 'knows another baker the is very experienced with cream cheese icing and has done several similar designs' .

"Great! I'm happy to hear that you found someone who can do this design for you in the cream cheese you are wanting! Thanks for checking with us!"

Sincerely Yours,

Hehe, thank you Indydebi, that does actually make me feel better! It is hard not to feel a little discouraged, but at least now I know my limitations! I am actually going to use that line(the first one)...

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:01pm
post #33 of 38
Quote:

I hate to admit defeat, but I am very uncomfortable with what she wants.

For future reference, this is not considered "defeat". You're making the right decision based on what you know as a professional (and the advice of other professionals) as to what won't work and could end up in a catastrophe.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:11pm
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane706

Quote:

I hate to admit defeat, but I am very uncomfortable with what she wants.

For future reference, this is not considered "defeat". You're making the right decision based on what you know as a professional (and the advice of other professionals) as to what won't work and could end up in a catastrophe.

Absolutely agree!

if a person wants a construction company to build a house with no nails, it's not considered 'defeat' if the contractor says it can't be done.

I had a bride who asked if she could have the whole cake iced in cream cheese. I had no problem telling her, "Not for an outdoor wedding, you can't." Had she insisted, I would have sent her down the road.

Would that have been a defeat for me? Nope. I would consider it a victory. Doing something that you know is "wrong" or won't work or just isn't a good idea ... that's when you've been defeated because you've compromised your ideals and your professionalism.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:15pm
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Quote:

I have told her over and over about cream cheese icing and how it won't work and it will look totally different, she is insisting, absolutely cream cheese, no fondant

If a bride doesnt take my word for what will and wont work, then I politely tell her to find someone else. Im the expert, its my name and reputation on the line.

Guess who she is going to blame when her cake is just a black puddle because the fondant melted into the cream cheese that in turn melted in the humidity and heat of Texas!!!!

Quote:
Quote:

Sincerely Yours,

I agree with Debi 1 000 000%

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:18pm
post #36 of 38
Quote:

So my question is, why didn't she go with this person in the first place? -

Because she obviously thought you were the better of the two, so don't knock yourself by saying you're defeated. Who knows she could still be coming back with her tail between her legs. Yes the other baker may do cream cheese but will they definitely do what she wants, that's a whole different questions. I wouldn't mind guessing when it comes down to it,they will tell her where to go and when she realises it aint happening, she'll be back.

creatingcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creatingcakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:31pm
post #37 of 38

I can't thank you guys enough for all of your help and support- I do feel so much better about this, it's not like I am not busy enough as it is! Thanks again, it is her loss, not mine and I am glad you were here to help me grow a backbone and just tell her- I am now going to start psoting pics of a few of my cakes so I can be a part of this forum rather than an observer-

Thanks again!!!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:55pm
post #38 of 38

Just tell her that her idea is not compatible with cream cheese icing, and that you are not putting your professional reputation on the line to try and do something that is that risky. If she really wants it tell her to contact the other baker.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%