I Need Help-Not Sure I Can Do This

Decorating By creatingcakes Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 8:55pm by BakingGirl

creatingcakes Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 38

Okay, so I have a bride that wants her 4 tier cake to be covered in Cream cheese icing, no fondant, and wants this design on the picture I am attaching below. I have several issues, first, I don't ever work on cream cheese icing, will it work with black fondant on it, and what is the best way to smooth it? My second problem is the design itself. I have no idea how to duplicate that design, is there some kind of cutter that I can use, or a template? I am fairly new at this and am afraid I have bitten off more than I can chew on this cake, Can somebody help me please???? I want to exhaust every option before I have to tell her I can't do it icon_redface.gif

TIA for ANY help!
LL

37 replies
Caths_Cakes Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 38

I dont think its fondant. I think its piped. to me it seems to intracit to be fondant. Other than that, i have no idea about cheese frosting, hopefully some one else can u fill you n on that one

kelleym Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 38

Me personally - I would refuse to do this cake in anything but fondant. Even if you are very, very skilled, it won't look the same as the picture, and the bride will be upset.

As the architects of the cake, we have the right to tell these people "No, that won't work."

leah_s Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 38

I have 10 yeas experience exclusively making wedding cakes. I'm culinary school trained. I would not attempt that cake in cream cheese frosting. In fact I used it once. Once. Never again.

That design may be cutters and piping combined. I recognize several cutters shapes that I have in my drawer, but I will tell you I have *lots* of cutters. Some of those shapes are double cuts.

sugarMomma Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 38

It looks like some of it is piped or made with a clay extruder gun, and onto fondant so I would definitely explain that to the bride. The design may be possible, but won't look just like the photo. It will be easier and more forgiving to pipe or apply cutouts onto fondant than cream cheese. It will be near impossible to correct any mistakes on cream cheese icing, and cream cheese can get really soft at room temp and cause it to droop especially where you apply the fondant. If the bride wants this design why can't she have cc icing under fondant. Guests can just peel away the fondant if they don't like it.

If you are uncomfortable with piping, you can try using a stencil for a template. As for smoothing, use the crusting or decorators cream cheese recipe and use the Viva paper towel or Melvira method if you go this route.

neelycharmed Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 38

Hi,
I would tell her that the cake would not look the same without fondant and you wouldn't be able to guarantee what the cake would end up looking like.

I just did a cake yesterday with buttercream(the pic she brought in was fondant but she didn't like fondant) and I told her straight out that its not going to look like the picture.
She was fine and happy and she loved the cake.
Hope it works for you.
Jodi icon_smile.gif

moonpixiewitch Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 38

Personally - I would use 2 cake dummies iced in fondant for the decorated layers and try to persuade the bride that buttercream or royal icing would be better for the other 2 plain layers .I am assuming that she does not want fondant because it tastes vile!? Cream cheese icing is very difficult to work with and also does not keep well . I have never managed to use it successfully (well, not that i would be happy with!) and I have been decorating cakes since I was 14 (now 40).
If you think 2 layers is not going to be enough cake , then ice plain cutting cakes for making up the shortfall. Obviously you could ice those in cream cheese icon_biggrin.gif
As for the intricate detailed work I think it is stencilled using royal icing and a pre-cut stencil . At least if you use dummies for that and it goes horribly wrong you can start again without wasting too much time or money.

Bonw Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 38

The white layer on the cake definitely looks like a rolled fondant. If she wants the smooth look that it is not going to be cream cheese icing. But if you use fondant you can try and look for a stencil that you can brush over with a icing for the design. You can always fill the inside of the cake with a cream cheese for options.

paulstonia Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:08pm
post #9 of 38

Well that detail would be too difficult for me but as far as cream cheese goes, maybe you could get her to go with a cream cheese filling instead. I love cream cheese icing for the flavor, but I too have sworn off decorating with it. Just too difficult.

LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:13pm
post #10 of 38

Fondant does not taste vile. You may not have tried the right recipe. This is when you as the decorator with the expertise tells the bride this design can not be done on cream cheese. Cream cheese is VERY soft. Unless you can keep this creamcheese covered cake refigerated cold the whole time while your decorating and while on display. You are running great risks here, not to mention a huge headache. Let her know you can't do it. If you go ahead and try, realize you may end up giving back a refund.

Loucinda Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:14pm
post #11 of 38

I am going to throw this one out - that looks like it may be a cricut cut fondant/gumpaste design to me (but I have been known to be wrong before) and I agree with the above posters, that cannot be done properly with cream cheese frosting.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:14pm
post #12 of 38

That's so pretty.

I would do it in buttercream. Fools rush in & all that stuff.

But I would explain it would be my interpretation of that design & I'd explain that the bc would give a different look. And I'd only do cream cheese flavor--or do my homework to find & use a stable cream cheese icing.

But I would also test the cutouts first to be sure. I know I could pipe it but it would look very different.

Here's one I did for my son's Wonderful Girlfriend's birthday. I told him if he din date her I would! Love this girl.

If you go there & click back one you can see the "Rachel" better across the top and a picture of her & me. I'm the taller one~ icon_lol.gif

moxey2000 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:33pm
post #13 of 38

You have your location as "Hot and humid Texas"...that right there says no way, no how on the cream cheese icing. It is very temperature/humidity sensitive and can be a bear even on the best days for the most experienced decorators. I agree with all of the posters here as far as you should tell her that you won't do this cake in c.c. icing. You could offer her cream cheese filling, and covered in good quality fondant, then piped design. The ribbons in the photo look real and there's no way you could put real ribbon onto a cake that wasn't covered with fondant and not have it get oily spots on it.

kakeladi Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:54pm
post #14 of 38

Read everyone's opinions. There are some really good points brought out. The cake will NOT look the same in bc - especially cr ch bc.
Earlene Moor has a good cr ch bc that can be used - she is from TX (? I think) and says her recipe can be left at room temp for up to a week. That might be an option.

creatingcakes Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 5:12pm
post #15 of 38

Oh my gosh you guys, I have told her over and over about cream cheese icing and how it won't work and it will look totally different, she is insisting, absolutely cream cheese, no fondant- I am SO thankful for all of your help, but I think I am just going to be honest with her and tell her that I just can't do what she wants, I hate to admit defeat, but I am very uncomfortable with what she wants. I am so glad to have everyone agree with everything I have been thinking. I don't think it is because the fondant tastes bad, I use Satin Ice, but who know what they are thinking? Maybe she will change her mind and work with me a little, either that or she goes somewhere else. You guys are awesome, and I really appreciate your help. I am on here every day looking at everything, this is maybe the 3rd time I have asked for help- You are amazing!

JawdroppingCakes Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 5:13pm
post #16 of 38

You might also try making the black flowers and leaves out of FBCT.

akgirl10 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 6:15am
post #17 of 38

You are in no way admitting defeat by not doing this cake in cream cheese! If you live in a humid area, even if the design worked I would be worried that the black fondant cutouts would bleed on the icing.

I do like the decorator's cream cheese icing here in the recipes. It crusts nicely, but I still wouldn't risk it with this design.

I do agree the cake has a mix of fondant cut outs and piping. Good luck, stay strong!

creatingcakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 10:39am
post #18 of 38

Thank you! I sent the email, just waiting for a response-

janeoxo Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 10:58am
post #19 of 38

You say she is adamant she wants cream cheese, personally I would tell her to go somewhere else. Yes you may lose her custom but...... what happens if you give her what she wants, it does not look good like you told her it wouldnt and then she goes away and bad mouthes you for making a bad cake. What is that going to do for your reputation!

I am sure if she does go somewhere else she is going to be told the same thing and then chances are she will come back with her tail between her legs, after all she came to you in the first place which must mean ideally she wants you to do her cake!

-Tubbs Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:42pm
post #20 of 38

..and don't be tempted to put cream cheese icing UNDER fondant either, if she asks for that. Cream cheese turns fondant liquidy. I did a cake where the fondant slipped and went baggy around the bottom of the cake. Fortunately it was highly decorated so I could hide it, but on that cake it would show badly.

BTW, I LOVE that black and white cake.

lecrn Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:08pm
post #21 of 38

I would refuse to use cream cheese. It's so hard to work with, IMO. I've tried some of the crusting cream cheese recipes on here, & I haven't had any luck getting it smooth. The 1st time I tried it, I ended up scrapping it all off & calling the customer. I told her it would not work unless I used buttercream. I would tell her either buttercream or fondant period. You can always flavor the buttercream/fondant with Lorann cream cheese flavor. You can also use a cream cheese filling.

ljdills Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:18pm
post #22 of 38

If I have to decorate with it, I use Sam's cream cheese icing. It crusts and doesn't have to be refrigerated. The problem is it is not pure white. It has kind of a dingy tint because of the cream cheese.

creatingcakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:27pm
post #23 of 38

Really? I have never really had a problem with cream cheese icing under fondant before, in fact, I did a wedding cake this weekend with all cream cheese under fondant, came out pretty. I usually tell prospective brides that if they want cream cheese icing, it has to be under fondant. This one just blindsided me, I guess. I am still waiting for a response from her, I still can't thank you all enough for your advice and support-

cownsj Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:39pm
post #24 of 38

Does the bride realize that you will have frosting Under the fondant? I'm always surprised by how many people think the fondant goes on the bare cake and has no frosting under it.

creatingcakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:45pm
post #25 of 38

Yeah, she knows, that is one of the first things I tell people, you are right, they think the fondant is all they get- I reiterated it when I was trying to convince her that she did NOT want a cake with cream cheese icing only...

cownsj Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:48pm
post #26 of 38

Maybe offer to do a dummy cake in the design in the picture, but have a sheet cake in the back with the cream cheese frosting to be served?

tguegirl Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:59pm
post #27 of 38

I also haven't had problems with cream cheese frosting under fondant. I used the decorator's cream cheese. But you do have it refrigerate it the whole time, which presents an issue for decorating purposes.

BakingGirl Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:18pm
post #28 of 38

The black fondant would absolutely bleed on the white cream cheese icing, and it would look horrible. Stand your ground and just say no.

creatingcakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:35pm
post #29 of 38

Well, I heard back from her, she 'knows another baker the is very experienced with cream cheese icing and has done several similar designs' . Ugh. So my question is, why didn't she go with this person in the first place? I will NEVER EVER deal with cream cheese icing again- Hard not to be discouraged, although in my head I know it is for the best, that she is just too picky and would never be happy. Not even sure what to say to her. What I want to say is good luck you will need it-

yumcake06 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:45pm
post #30 of 38

I would run away from the idea, instead ask her if she would like the filling to be cream cheese

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%