I thought someone asked before but I can't find the thread...
Bridal show in a couple of weeks. I am thinking about having an incentive if they book that night.
I only require a $50 deposit to hold the date. I was thinking about offering %15 off the order if they book the night of the show and %10 if they book with in two weeks.
I don't know, has anyone had success with this type of thing or just have feedback on the idea?
i like the idea of a show special. I would make sure that the deposit is non refundable.
Interesting idea. In my business life (before cakes) I would've recommended maybe saying "offer good for the first x number of customers".
1) definitely limit number of offers to make it more "special" and keep you from going in the hole.
2) make deposit MUCH higher -- some brides might (will?) see that as so low that if they find a better price elsewhere or a relative/friend offers free cake to just take the $50 loss as no big deal. Do at least 30% and better 50% of total order value.
3) tie discount to "and PAID IN FULL with in 30 days of booking" to be sure to lock in the order
4) offer only 1 discount level and shorten time it applies -- say the 15% if booked within 10 days (wouldn't give them more than that!)
5) have some type of coupon they have to present that is only given out at the bridal show.
to sum up:
The first five (or whatever number you are comfortable with) brides who book within 10 days and pay in full within 30 days will get 15% off their wedding cake. Must present <bakery's> coupon from <XYZ> bridal show to receive offer.
I think that sounds like a great idea! Any time someone is offered an incentive to book now they're going to be tempted, but definitely make sure the deposit is non-refundable!
Thank you for your feedback.
Deposit is definitely not refundable. I don't know about adjusting the deposit amount. That seems kinda wrong since I wouldn't up it otherwise. I see your point about them going elsewhere but wouldn't that just be $50 to my benefit?
I guess I am thinking if they don't schedule the consult by xx date then they aren't serious and I will take them off the calendar. At this point brides are looking for next year and a lot of details particularly head count changes. So, how can I expect them to pay in full this far ahead.
I don't know, I don't want anyone to think I am being crooked. I have a low deposit because brides have told me they appreciate it since they have to put down deposits for everything and it adds up.
I have been thinking about changing the deposit and maybe this is a good time to re-evaluate it. Maybe up it to $100 across the board? This is something to think about.
Yes, only have a $50 deposit to hold the date is a bad idea... wait, that's not the focus of your question...
I would say that Yes, the pressure to book that night is probably a bad idea. Think about it from the bride's perspective, they're there to get ideas of which vendors they want to check out without necessarily having to commit. I'd say "5% discount on cash payment in full orders within the next 30 days.." or something to that effect instead. That way there's time-sensitivity without putting pressure on brides to book and either dealing with brides you DO NOT want to deal with (you don't get to weed them out as easily) or total flakes who forget which baker it was at the bridal show...
You definitely want the shop contact with the bride before they commit to you. It's a chance to find out do you want this person to be your customer whereas at the bridal show they may be all sweet, but when you try to peg them on details they're a royal PITA... It's not just shopping for them, it's shopping for you too