How To Apply Sand To Sandcastle Cakes?

Decorating By lthiele Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 3:19am by cabecakes

lthiele Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:29am
post #1 of 8

Can anyone tell me, how you actually apply the crushed biscuits to the buttercream without getting finger marks or dents in the cake? I have been studying lots of pics and am not sure how to go about it.
Any help would be much appreciated! TIA

7 replies
dutchy1971 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:07am
post #2 of 8

I just did one a few weeks ago, I took handfuls of crushed graham cracker crumbs and kind of gently tossed it up against the side and then as needed patted my flat hand against it. Its quite forgiving if you are gentle. I have a pic in my gallery.

lthiele Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:54am
post #3 of 8

Thanks dutchy - I had kind of thought you would need to throw it on! icon_lol.gif Your cake is really good - did you get inspiration from Edith Meyer's cake? Funnily I had added yours as a fav today! I just got asked to do one for a wedding next year, I was excited so came straight home and jumped on CC, trying to figure out the how to's!

dutchy1971 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 8

yes It was Edith Myers I had seen, hers is awesome. I loved doing this one I think it was my fav cake to do so far. If you need any help please let me know I can tell you how I did it all, it really wasn't difficult once we figured out the how to's. The other half came in handy for ideas and home depot shopping for tower building icon_smile.gif

lthiele Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you - that's really kind and I really appreciate the offer of help! Did you make the towers out of cake or something else? And what did you use for the top bits of the towers with the notches cut out? I was thinking fondant / gumpaste.

MrsMabe Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 8

I did it once on a rectangular cake. I tilted it about 25 degrees or so and sprinkled it on that way. That obviously wouldn't work on say, a topsy turvy. But on a sturdier design, it makes it easier to get an even coat.

dutchy1971 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:57am
post #7 of 8

The way I did the whole thing was about a week in advance I made the towers, rice krispie treats, I used a 3" pvc pipe from home depot, it was long so I would advice a smaller length, more to the length you would need plus maybe 6". I greased very well inside the pipe and then shoved the rice krispy mixture into it once filled ( I figured one batch following the recipe on the box was enough per tower) I packed it down as much as possible and then took cans wrapped in saran wrap and crisco and shoved them into the pipe. Let that rest for about 30 mins standing upright so it packs down, then remove the molded tower from inside I found using my long rolling pin against the can helped push it out. I'm sure there is an easier way to do it, but I got perfect rounds and lengths this way. One held the pipe while the other pushed it out, I wrapped a bit of non slip shelving liner around it to get a good grip. End result worth the fight icon_smile.gif

The turrets around the towers and the top dome were made of 50/50 gp/fondant I spaced all the turrets approx 3/4" intervals.

The top cake/dome was 1/2 the wilton sports ball.

I started with a 14" Square. 8" Square and then the 1/2 ball on top.

cabecakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:19am
post #8 of 8

When I needed the "sand" on my cake that you see in my avatar, I just applied a thin layer of buttercream to my fondant and pressed brown sugar into.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%