Fondant Figure Sculpting - Help!!!!

Decorating By ginger6361 Updated 13 Oct 2009 , 1:08am by ginger6361

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:51am
post #1 of 8

Can anyone tell me how to keep my fondant from cracking and falling apart on my figures?? I made my first figure, a fairy, and the legs cracked, are falling off, and hair fell off....I used new fondant, and put tylose powder in it...I am at a loss!! I had so much fun doing it, I really want it to last long enough to get it on a cake!! HELP!!!

7 replies
kimmy37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmy37 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:10am
post #2 of 8

Try microwaving for a few seconds to soften.
Put a little shortening on your hands. ??? HTH

grannyrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannyrose Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:13am
post #3 of 8

I am not sure what your problem is, what type of fondant do you use? I use MMF without adding tylose and if it is dry, I work a little Crisco into it to make it softer and easier to work with.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:16am
post #4 of 8

i've made them from fondant but they stay soft along time i use 50/50 fondant gumpaste, are you using enough crisco when working with it, i used to just sprinkle it in with my fondant then realized da 50/50 1/2 gumpaste 1/2 fondant so 2 batches , i use crisco when needed while making them has to be soft and i alway's roll the piece i'm going to make in a ball until it's smooth are you using gumpaste glue i don't find i need it when putting arms and legs on. but ears and tails ect i do. hope this helps there are some really some cute ones on u-tube

ginger6361 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 6:09am
post #5 of 8

Thanks everyone!! I did not use any crisco, just dusted with powdered sugar. Doesn't it get too greasy?

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 11:45am
post #6 of 8

no i use mm fondant/gumpaste like when you mix your fondant you use crisco and before storing, i flatten it into smaller batches rub with crisco then saran wrap, you find when mixing a new batch you need the crisco, unless like me one time i forgot to crisco my hands ahhhhhh it was almost funny but i live alone and i just sat there yelling at myself dummy, what a mess you want it really smoooth. ,

ginger6361 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 8

ON U TUBE?? NEVER LOOKED THERE BEFORE. THANKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninatat

i've made them from fondant but they stay soft along time i use 50/50 fondant gumpaste, are you using enough crisco when working with it, i used to just sprinkle it in with my fondant then realized da 50/50 1/2 gumpaste 1/2 fondant so 2 batches , i use crisco when needed while making them has to be soft and i alway's roll the piece i'm going to make in a ball until it's smooth are you using gumpaste glue i don't find i need it when putting arms and legs on. but ears and tails ect i do. hope this helps there are some really some cute ones on u-tube

ginger6361 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:08am
post #8 of 8

OK, I got gumpaste and will mix it. It is eatable right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninatat

no i use mm fondant/gumpaste like when you mix your fondant you use crisco and before storing, i flatten it into smaller batches rub with crisco then saran wrap, you find when mixing a new batch you need the crisco, unless like me one time i forgot to crisco my hands ahhhhhh it was almost funny but i live alone and i just sat there yelling at myself dummy, what a mess you want it really smoooth. ,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%