Gumpaste Or Royal Icing?

Decorating By prterrell Updated 11 Oct 2009 , 7:53pm by prterrell

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 2:46am
post #1 of 5

I am making a cake that will have a Celtic cross standing up on the top tier (see pic of cross below). Which would be better for making the cross? Gumpaste or RI? Or should I do a combination, forming the edges of the cross with the gumpaste and piping the knotwork with RI?

4 replies
CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:21am
post #2 of 5

Hi! I would probably make the basics cross shape out of rolled out gum paste about 5mm thick & allow it to dry like you would a plaque. Then with royal icing, using the right size round tip, pipe out the pattern on to your cross.

I hope this helps! Good luck & remember to have fun with it! icon_smile.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:30am
post #3 of 5

i've done the RI crown, it does break easy but your pieces are little so try parchment paper with the pieces from a template like a puzzle , only thing is when making something like the crown it has to touch another part to stay, thinking you might be able to find clear vinyl joann's has it or fabric stores and comes in a variety of thicknesses, you can get really thin, and connect it to the cross on the back side and go over it with RI a 50/50 mix for the cross or gumpaste if it doesn't stick to the vinyl i'd glue it to the clear vinyl. just my idea but i think it would come out nice. hope this helps

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 5

I agree with the above as far as it touching. It will be hard to make this with RI and not have the corners get large, etc. but I would think it would be much easier to do with RI than with Gumpaste (either way it will have to touch, that is the thing with 3D vs a drawing) But if you make three or four traces in RI it should hold up, and I would make one or two spares...

I made a crown and a spare... the spare gave me the darndest time and broke/was re-started a million times. and the origional never did break, but I figured if I didn't have the back up, it would have broke.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 5

Oh, yeah. I know the drawing doesn't have the inner knots touching, but I definitely will have the icing touching! icon_smile.gif

I'm gonna try the gumpaste + RI route. I'll post pics when I'm done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%