How Do I Make A Liquid Flow Out Of A Cake?

Decorating By cbrociek Updated 11 Oct 2009 , 7:07pm by jlynnw

cbrociek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cbrociek Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 1:09am
post #1 of 7

I am wanting to do a cake where a liquid will flow out when cut. I am doing this for halloween so I want it to look like blood. Any tips are appreciated, thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 1:20am
post #2 of 7

I would probably hollow out a place in the cake...then ice the hollowed place in buttercream and let it set for a bit...then put in a raspberry type filling in the consistency you want...maybe thin down on the stove a bit with some juice????? (someone else might have a better idea) then put in the cake...be sure to seal really well with buttercream, and I'd refrigerate before decorating so all the icing is firm.

bakemeacakemd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeacakemd Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 1:24am
post #3 of 7

I have seen this done with a bag. You fill the bag with your fluid of choice and then when the cake is cut it will pour out...very effective for an egg over easy cake. Obviously the bag is removed before serving.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 1:28am
post #4 of 7

How about you coat the cake with a thick ganache instead of buttercream so it forms a shell to avoid bludging and the filling oozing out?

pattycake41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycake41 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 1:40am
post #5 of 7

I remember a few years ago seeing a chef on the Martha Stewart show make "warm, soft, chocolate cake" in 4 brioche tins. These are individual servings, so I'm not sure how you would convert the recipe to a full cake. I was interested in the recipe b/c my daughter has an allergy to flour, and this only requires 2 teaspoons!
Okay, This site is not allowing me to send the recipe via attachment, so if you think it is something you'd like to experiment with, email me and I will see that you get the recipe.
Some of the other ideas already submitted sound really good too, and probably easier to do....especially with red.
Good Luck!
Patty

chikadodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikadodle Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 2:08am
post #6 of 7

To get the oozing effect, you could mix up some raspberry gelatin (with a little extra liquid) and pour it into a plastic wrap lined cake pan to set. Then, put the pan into the freezer and freeze it solid. Make your cake and set up a good sized wall of buttercream or ganache and leave a space big enough for the disc of jello. Unmold the gelatin and put right into the hole in your buttercream (or ganache), then finish the cake as usual. I would try to finish it while the gelatin is still frozen so that when you ice the cake, your spatula won't cause the filling to squish out.

I used to use the frozen disc method at a hotel I worked at and it worked well. We used a pectin based disc (rather than gelatin), but I think either way would work and gelatin is probably more accessible.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:07pm
post #7 of 7

for my zombie cake, I used cherry pie filling. I put it in the food processor for a few quick pulses to give the cherries the look of somewhat congealed blood. I thinned it out a bit with corn syrup, I torted the cakes and placed a thin layer of butter cream on the cake, like a crumb coat, a generous thick dam, added the cherries. After I had torted and filled the cakes, I froze them until they were fairly firm. Finished the base ice and fover in fondant. Make sure you use good solid support so the tiers (if you have them) don't cause the dam to break. The skull was RKT and I lined the inside with chocolate, added the cherries and chocolate glued back together. Covered the RKT with firm ganache and fondant. It was so gross! They loved it. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%