Store Bought Vs Homemade

Decorating By yamber82 Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 5:56am by luvmysmoother

yamber82 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 1:08am
post #1 of 16

went to my nephew's party today and long story sort, i didn't make his cake, which is fine. sil bought a grocery store bakery one, don't remember where. i have always liked the store cakes but this time i almost gagged when i ate it the icing had a really funky taste.i don't know if it was just this cake or if i am just so used to my icing now that i never realised how different the store icing was. sil kpet going on and on about how good it was but i seriously couldn't even eat it.

15 replies
prterrell Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 2:59am
post #2 of 16

Just goes to show that everyone has different tastes! My sister will eat "yellow smiley face store" cakes and call them delicious. I won't touch them. In fact, there's very few grocery store cakes that I will eat. Then, sis loves my cakes, too. To her, if it's cake, it's good. To me, it has to be good cake to be good. Wierd thing is, she KNOWS I bring cakes/goodies with me every time I come visit (I live 8 hours from her and our parents). Her kids will even make special reqeusts for cakes from me (most of the cakes I make are for my 4 nephews). She still goes to the store and buys a cake. Her cake doesn't get eaten until all of my cake is gone. No one in the family can figure it out. We've tried asking her to bring OTHER things (like chips and soda, she's NOT a good cook), but she'll still bring a cake anyway.

indydebi Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:42am
post #3 of 16

yamber, you're a better man than me, Gunda Din! I've been to places/events where they had a grocery cake, offered me some, and I said, "Not me, man, *I* don't eat that crap!" icon_lol.gif

I think we do get used to our "good" stuff. I grew up on the Nestle cookie dough rolls (slice-n-bake). Luv'd 'em. Granddaughter was spending the night and I just didn't feel like firing up the mixer, but god save me if Banna doesn't make cookies when the g.kids come over! icon_biggrin.gif So I baked up some of these slice-n-bakes ..... took a bite and almost gagged as I ran to the trash can to spit it out.

I was totally confused because as a kid I LOVED these cookies! They were considered "high end"! icon_surprised.gif

But I've gotten used to my cookies (which, by the way, are unsurpassed by ANYTHING else! icon_rolleyes.gif )

TexasSugar Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:50am
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

But I've gotten used to my cookies (which, by the way, are unsurpassed by ANYTHING else! icon_rolleyes.gif )

Oh yes they are! icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:22am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:

LOL! Yeah, me too! icon_wink.gif

Brandy982006 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:41am
post #6 of 16

I used to love the grocery store Buttercream (I work in a grocery store bakery) and now that I make my own cakes from home using Indydebi's buttercream recipe, I can't stand even opening the buckets of buttercream without gagging from just the smell of it all.

Brandy982006 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:42am
post #7 of 16

By the way, thank you Indydebi for sharing such a great recipe thumbs_up.gif

yamber82 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 5:01am
post #8 of 16

thanks guys. i made hubby taste the leftovers and he thought it was good so it must have just been me, but it seriously made me almost gag. the stupid thing is, i would have made the cake for her (which was the original plan) and i told her she could just give me like 30 since she' fam but then she changed her mind at the last minute (after i bouht the supplies) cuz that one she saw while grocery shopping was only 20 bucks. she is also the pickiest "customer" i've EVER had!! she goes on and on about how nobody likes fondant even though i have customers specifically request my mmf. it almost seems like she's looking for errors or something. it's really annoying. i guess this was more of a vent than anything else, lol. hubby says she is the jealous type and that's all it is. i honestly thought taht was kinda selfish of her though, she wouldn't even let her kid pick out the cake. everyone else i have ever made cakes for let's the kid pick their cake. esp if it's gonna be custom, ya know. i'm still a novice, but could have made my nephew a totally awesome cake that he would have freaked out over. you should have seen his face when he was talking about his "aunt amber making his bday cake". i should upload the pic of the one she got, i was such crap... here's the link to it on fb i you guys wanna see.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=2573458&id=722239658

i guess i just kinda took it personally, lol. oh well.

KitchenKat Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:42am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:

LOL! Yeah, me too! icon_wink.gif

Double LOL, me too! In fact I'm currently eating cookies, which I baked, and puzzling as to why I don't seem to really like 'em as much as I normally do. They were good but they didn't have the taste sensation I was looking for. Then I realized it was probably cos they weren't freshly baked. I've gone spoiled myself so much I can only truly love warm, freshly baked cookies.

Debbi your cookies rock! icon_smile.gif

Mensch Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:47am
post #10 of 16

I never eat OPB.

(OPB= other people's baking)

LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:52pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

I never eat OPB.

(OPB= other people's baking)

I FEEL ya!

There are only 3 people in this entire Central Virginia who's baking I will eat.

Mine, my go to cake person, and this one lady who owns a cupcake shop. I even tried this one place in D.C. who is big time and I just didn't like it at all!

Lovemesomecake Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:32pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:

I'm jealous!!! DO SHARE your recipe!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

chouxchoux Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 10:50pm
post #13 of 16

indydebi.....can we have your bc recipe? oh, by the way...thank you SO much for the roses tip. it will really help me! icon_smile.gif

grandmom Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 10:59pm
post #15 of 16

I want Indy's cookie recipe! Please??

luvmysmoother Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:56am
post #16 of 16

I just love other people's baking - I'm a baked goods trampicon_smile.gif But yes - the big $20 sheet cakes from the main grocery stores make me just gag now. I still enjoy many pastries from stores/bakeries but also - many times I think to myself "how can they sell something that stale and awful tasting - have they no pride"icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%